Monday, April 15, 2013

Mock drafts that make sense


The draft as we know is getting closer and I feel like my mind is changing to what the Vikes will do in the first round. I had previously felt like the team will package a 1st round and a middle round pick to move up. I feel now we will keep both.

I am getting more of a feeling the more I read and the mock drafts that the first choice will be Mane Te’o out of Notre Dame. The Vikings have had good luck with players from this college as currently the team has 5 former Fighting Irish.

I went to NFL.com and found 7 different projections of who the Vikings will take.

Daniel Jeremiah has # 23- Manti Te’o LB out of Notre Dame. Te’o is 6” 1 and 241 pounds. Jeremiah has the pick at 25 as Jesse Williams DT out of Alabama. Williams is 6’4” and weighs 320 pounds. He also at one time bench pressed 600 pounds. He played for Alabama and all this school has done is win 3 out the last 4 National Championships. A kid who has not seen much losing if any would be nice to see him bring a winning mentality to the pros.

Bucky Brooks has # 23 Manti Te’o and at 25 Keenan Allen WR out of Cal. I would love this two in purple. It would fill 2 of the major needs for 2013

Akbar Gbajabiamila has # 23 Tavon Austin WR out of West Virginia and at 25 Jarvis Jones OLB out of Georgia U.  Jones is versatile who can play inside or outside linebacker. He is another player out of what I believe is the best conference in football, the SEC. 

Austin is 5’9 “and 174. I have read he has been referred as the most dynamic player in the draft with a chance to also return kicks. I do not believe he will drop this far but if he does I would love to see this speed burner wearing Vikings colors.

Gil Brandt has # 23 Cordarrelle Patterson WR out of Tennessee. This has been my hope since this whole draft process has begun. This is the big receiver I had hopes of obtaining. He stands at 6’2” and weighs 216. He is being compared to Broncos Demaryius Thomas. Oh boy would this be nice. I really like Thomas in Denver and he has been a very good producer for Denver.

Brandt has at 25- Jonathon Banks a DB out of Mississippi State. Banks is tall at 6’2” and weighs 185. This is a thought with the departure of Antoine Winfield.

Charlie Casserly has at # 23- Kawann Short DT out of Purdue. He is 6’3” and 299. This is once again interesting knowing Kevin Williams is not getting any younger. I still love Kevin’s play but it would be nice to get someone ready to take over when Kevin finally packs in up for a career

Casserly at 25 has Manti Te’o out of Notre Dame.  This makes 3 of the first 5 guys that would take Te’o in the first round.

 

Matt Smith has at # 23 Tavon Austin WR out of West Virginia and at 25 Sylvester Williams DT out of North Carolina. Williams is 6’3” and weighs 313. This is now the second gentleman who thinks Minnesota would take the next heir apparent to Kevin Williams.

Josh Norris has at # 23- Keenan Allen WR out of Cal and at 25 Arthur Brown ILB out of Kansas Sate. If selected in the first round Brown would be only the 5th former Wildcat to be drafted in the first round. Brown is 6’2” and weighs 231. Brown is 2 inches taller than Te’o but 10 pounds less.

Mock drafts are fun to read as I have said before. These 7 guys have done a god job of addressing the major needs of the Minnesota Vikings. I am in the camp that feels I will hear on April 25th the name of Manti Te’o being called.

We all have our thoughts, what are yours?

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

Source: NFL.com analysts

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I like C. Peterson (WR) @ 23 & either Teo or DT J. Williams @ 25

    ReplyDelete