Sunday, April 28, 2013

Love the Vikings draft !!!!!!!!


The draft is over and with that I will say I cannot wait. I feel the Vikings did an outstanding job in the draft. I am a true homer and see no reason I cannot give an A to the job Spielman and staff did in assembling this fine group of potential 53 man roster guys.

The way the last 2 draft have gone these players should feel good about getting an opportunity to being part of this young and upcoming team.

All we have as fans is college stats to go by so the next step is to see how these 9 guys can fit into the scheme of things.

I watch a ton of college football but would be a liar if I told you I know something about each of these guys without reading stats like you can.

I rather look at the schools these guys come from and the rich tradition of each college they have left.

Xavier Rhodes at number 25 pick coming out of Florida State I remember another cornerback the Vikings took back in the mid 90’s by the name of Corey Fuller. I really like his game back then and the physicality he played with.

The draft presents Vikings fans with player from strong football states. Florida is represented by 3 players with 2 from Florida State and one Florida. 2 schools that have a huge football tradition will always be welcome by me to this team.

Penn State gives us 2 players and linebackers to boot. Penn State has produced some big time linebackers in the NFL with the likes of Matt Millen for an example.

The draft also included no one from the Midwest coming to the Vikings. Oh I am so excited with the players we got from major Division I schools who know how to win.

The Vikings I also believe did an A+ job of drafting for needs. The first 3 picks alone fill major needs.  A wide receiver, a defensive tackle, and corner back was a great way to start the draft.

Day 2 as we know the Vikes were not involved in but day 3 to see the 2 Linebackers drafted along with offensive line for potential depth was awesome.

The punter was curious to me and not that we drafted one rather how early coming in the 5th round. It should be an interesting next few weeks at Winter Park.

The story lines I will follow are many but one I want to keep an eye on is middle linebacker. My hope is veteran, Erin Henderson gets a shot. He is big, fast and instinctive towards the ball. If I had a say I would love to see him get a shot. The other thought is this the opening if it not Henderson does the team bring in Brian Urlacher.

The other story line, will my favorite personality on the team remain. My hope is yes. Blair Walsh was drafted and it was good bye to Ryan so now is it Kluwe’s turn. My vote if it counted would be please Vikings keep Chris.

I would like to add my congrats to former Gophers, MarQueis Gray for getting a shot at the 49ers’ roster and to Troy Stoudemire for getting his shot with Cincinnati.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment