Saturday, March 2, 2013

What will the Vikings do in Free Agency?


The Vikings had just finished a 2011 season going 3-13 and to add to the misery the team tied for worst record in franchise history. It was time to move on to the 2012 season and more specifically the free agency period. The closer time got the more excited it got as I was envisioning the team bringing in some big names to help the 2012 team.

As the saying goes the clock struck 12 and I seemed to be reading the internet every chance I got as I knew there were some big time named receivers out there. The names Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon were just a couple of names I would have loved to see in purple. I was really high on Jackson with his height and catching ability. It was a wish of mine that he comes to Minnesota. I was obviously wrong as Tampa Bay signed him.

It seemed as each passing day it just was not meant to be to get a big name free agent. The Vikings signed Jerome Simpson, Geoff Schwartz, Tyrone McKenzie, Jerome Felton, Marvin Mitchell and John Carlson.

I was very excited to see Carslon come back to his home state but it seemed to be a disappointing season with the injury bug.

The names were not big but one of the names, Jerome Felton came through with a huge season even landing a Pro Bowl spot. Who would have seen that coming? The season he had I cannot thank enough for what he did for the team and help the running game just that much more.

Jerome Simpson suspended the first 4 games did not have spectacular numbers but did use his speed a few times to draw the flag for inference. He is a free agent in 2013 and I would not mind seeing him try it one more time.

Schwartz was a nice find to help the O-Line and McKenzie and Mitchell were nice special team’s players.

The 2013 season free agency period is coming soon. March 9-11 teams can negotiate with free agents.

March 12th is a big day with 4:00 New York time players contract expire. The same day and same time all teams must be under the salary cap. Once again this day players can sign contracts after 4:00.

The Vikings have made it clear they want to build through the draft and the way the year went last year with the 2012 draft class lets hope 2013 brings more winners to the fold.

I am not getting my hopes up like last year for free agency. There are some big name receivers such as Mike Wallace (Steelers), Greg Jennings (Packers), Dwayne Bowe to name a few. I believe these guys will command big bucks the Vikes will not pay.

The quarterback situation I am real curious how they handle the number 2 quarterback. There are 2 names I will look for to see if they end up here. The names Tyler Thigpen and Matt Moore I believe one of these guys will sign here.

I am going to trust Rick Spielman and the Vikings organization for keeping this ship going forward.

March 12th is an important date and will be fun to watch the 32 teams do some Christmas shopping.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment