Sunday, March 31, 2013

Time winding down on Mall of America Field


The month of April is just about to begin Monday and with that we can think even more about the NFL draft. My next thought is the NFL season gets that much close. A historic year as we say goodbye to the Metrodome.

The beginning of baseball starts Monday at Target Field. The Twins like the Vikings shared this place we call the Metrodome for years until the name was switched to Mall of America Field.

I look at this facility and think of all the memories I have and all the events this place held. I was 14 years old when the ground breaking occurred on December 20th, 1979 and the building opened April 3, 1982 my junior year in high school.

I looked into what it cost and the number I find is 124 million dollars and now in 2016 the new stadium will be around a billion dollars.  The price of everything is crazy. I got my license and gas was .99 cents a gallon and now we face 3.50-4.00 a gallon. Oh I wish we had .99 cents again. The cost of two stadiums with one 124 million, and now face almost a billion in the price tag.

I go back in memories as a kid I got to go to the old Met in Bloomington with my dad. I have been a Vikings season Ticket holder for 14 years going to Mall of America Field and now my hopes to be part of the new stadium.

Mall of America Field is coming to an end but not without so many memories either being there in person or watching games on TV.

The Twins played in there from 1982 to 2009 and during that span they hosted the 1985 All Star Game. I remember paying 2.00 to sit upper beck behind home plate at the home run derby.

Who can ever forget the World Series in 1987 and 1991 watching the home town boys wins 2 world titles. The Homer Hanky waving was a sight to never forget. I never did get to attend any of the games though just watched on TV.

I have a memory amongst many but this one was the Oakland A’s- Minnesota Twins. A’s slugger Dave Kingman hit a ball into the ceiling only to not come back and they ruled it a automatic double. I will never forget looking and waiting for it to come down.

The Metrodome was the sight of 3 baseball players collecting their 3000th hit. They were Eddie Murray, Dave Winfield and Cal Ripken Jr.  Chicago White Sox slugger, Frank Thomas got his 500th home run there as well.

The NCAA Men’s basketball tourney was held here. There were 10 different years here as it hosted 3 Midwest regionals, 4 round 1 and 2’s,  1 time called the Minneapolis Region and finally 2 Final Fours (1992 and 2001) in which Duke won the title both times.

The Minnesota state high school football Prep Bowls have been held here. The Gophers baseball team played here along with the Gophers football team called the facility their home until they moved into their new home called TCF Bank Stadium.

The Minnesota Timberwolves call this their home also in the 1989-90 year in which they drew an NBA record 1,072,572 fans that season. They also had the largest single game record on April 17th, 1990 vs. Denver in which the attendance was 49,551.

The concerts, the monster trucks and so much more called this their home at times for a night or two.

The last part in which I have the most memories with one season left is the Vikings. In regards to football the Metrodome known in the past played host to the Super Bowl in 1992 when the Washington Redskins beat the Buffalo Bills.

Onto the Vikings memories with both bad and good as I start with heart break. I was in attendance at the NFC Championship game when Atlanta shocked the Vikings.

January 3, 1983 Dallas Cowboys running back, Tony Dorsett on Monday night football ran 99 yards which was the longest run in NFL history.

September 30, 2007 Brett Favre threw his NFL record breaking touchdown pass to Greg Jennings. I was at that game and have to admit I clapped as it was history and I was there to see it.

November 4th, 2007 2 NFL records went down as Chargers Antonio Cromartie returned a missed field goal 109 yards which the longest play in history. Adrian Peterson ran for 296 yards breaking the single game record.

November 30, 2008 Vikings quarterback Gus Frerotte threw a 99 yard touchdown to Bernard Berrian tying the longest pass.

The Brett Favre to Greg Lewis touchdown against the 49ers was not a record but a game to never forget.

Oct 5, 2009 more history as Vikings quarterback, Brett Favre leads the Vikes over the Packers and became the first quarterback in NFL history to beat each of the 32 teams in the league.

What does 2013 hold in store for Vikings fans? What memories will we have? It is sad yet exciting and I will be part of it.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

Source: Metrodome-Wikipedia

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment