Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Vikings continue youth push


The 2011 season had ended with a miserable record of 3-13. We as fans had to wonder what are on earth is the organization going to do to get the ship moving north.

The philosophy was conveyed strongly in 2012 that the youth movement is going to occur. It did at that as the Vikings drafted 10 players and 8 of those cracking the final 53. The eight not only made the final roster of 53 they contribute heavily. A new starting left tackle, Matt Kalil along with starting safety, Harrison Smith.

The team released veteran kicker, Ryan Longwell in favor of a 6th round draft choice, Blair Walsh and look how that turned out.

The names Rhett Ellison, Robert Blanton, Josh Robinson, Jarius Wright, Audie Cole represented themselves well. Greg Childs goes out for the season and Trevor Guyton was cut in camp. What a draft class and I hope for 2013 to go as well.

The team ends 10-6 and now the pressure to get better is building as the opponents in 2013 will be very tough. The Vikings plays the Super Bowl Champion, Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore along with the rest of that division for something to think about for fans.

The combine is over with plenty of talent shown for GM’s and the team coming up in the April draft.

The 2013 season is really not that far away.  What is the Vikings plan? Is the team going to go through free agency a little if at all, or will the draft produce players for the Vikings future?

This week has been full of fans I’ve talked to concerned after the trade of Percy to Seattle. What receivers do we have left?

It seemed like the Percy talk was nonstop with the fans and the radio I listen to. I am finding more people after things settled down ok with Harvin leaving. I have mixed feelings only based on his talent.

It was being talked about and before fans could get over that news the announcement of the release of Antoine Winfield came. This news really caught me off guard. I know he was due 7 million plus this season but still shocked me.

I know it is a business and Antoine is not getting any younger but I will still miss watching him play in Purple. I have to be honest this hurts more than the Harvin saga. Life will go on and so will I but I have not enjoyed watching a defensive player like I did Winfield.

He is short in stature at 5’9 inches and weighs 180 but he play so much bigger. If every player played with the heart he has this already awesome sport would be that much better.

How many times did we hear commentators remark how Winfield would take a big tight end down? Antoine was the best tackler we had in some time and will be missed.

I will go as far as he might just be one of the best free agents in recent history the Vikings signed. If you ever got to meet him you would see the smile of a man who cared for his fans and I will always be thankful to what he brought to the state of Minnesota. Good Luck Antoine in your future you will be missed.

The Vikings had 10 free agents on their own team and thus far has done a nice job of retaining them.

The resigning of Jerome Simpson I liked. He was out the first 4 games last season so I am excited to see how he does in 16 games. He has the speed and jumping ability so will he use this to his advantage?

The Jerome Felton coming back is huge especially if he can continue his contributions in helping Adrian break the 2500 mark this year.

Erin Henderson and Jamarca Sanford coming back as well helps keep the defense together. Erin I am most happy for. He has come the hard way being an undrafted rookie and working his way to a starter. Jamarca I love on special teams and his big hits when he plays safety.

I trust Rick Spielman and the rest of the organization as I know there are a lot of nervous fans out there after watching Harvin and Winfield leave. I can’t wait to see the answers one way or the other with free agency or the draft.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment