Sunday, March 17, 2013

Hard to contain my excitement for 2013 season


The concerns about the team and specifically the wide receiver position got the best news a fan could hear on Friday night.

Friday I was traveling to a wedding located about an hour from Green Bay when my wife read to me by way of twitter the announcement I was hoping for. The speculation that the talks between the Vikings and Greg Jennings group may last into Saturday was what I was hearing. I am so glad it was wrong because Friday night my drive was just that much better.

One man does not make a team by any means in any sport but a signing of an athlete like this gets me even more fired up for the 2013 season.

Saturday as a Vikings fan knowing I was in Wisconsin and my beloved Vikings got a huge lift. It was a hope the team would sign a free agent wide receiver but to get Jennings in my mind was a pleasant surprise.

I did go to a store to buy a local paper with front page story having Jennings leaves for Vikings. If there ever was a doubt that I heard wrong it was in black and white.

I look at the upcoming Vikings offensive side of the ball and here is what I see. The resigning of free agent Phil Loadholt now keeps in tack an offensive line that was dominating in the running game. I believe the pass protection was pretty decent but now has the chance to get even better with a unit that has one year experience together. The two tackles, Loadholt and Matt Kalil are both locked up for a few years. I am so excited to see this unit destroy opposing defensive lines.

The Vikings have the best running back in the NFL in Adrian Peterson. Who knows what the limit is for him? I feel very good about backup Toby Gerhart as well. It is a great 1-2 punch to have on a roster. A man who finished second is history in rushing total yards and a man who finished runner up in the Heisman trophy race in college is quite the combo and add they are young should give even more reason for optimism.

The tight end position with Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson can only get better. Rudolph a late addition to the Pro Bowl turns in a performance to get the MVP of the game. The size and catching ability of Rudolph I am hoping the team uses him more often in the red zone over and over. The hope for Carlson is to forget last year and get on the field in 2013 and show why the team thought so highly of him to give him the contract. I am so excited for the combo of these young men’s talent.

The wide receiver I am really high on with the addition of Greg Jennings, a former Viking thorn in the side when playing for the Packers, is now in Purple. The experience Greg has against NFC North teams is invaluable. I really am excited to see Jerome Simpson show his athletic ability with speed and leaping ability. The experience 2012 draft choice, Jarius Wright got late last season will be beneficial to the team as I expect he will be suited up all 16. I think just these 3 guys names alone should give Vikings fans reason to be optimistic.

The quarterback situation with Christian Ponder will be up to Ponder to quiet his critics. He played 2 of the best games last season both in home wins over San Francisco and Green Bay proves he can do it. I might be in the minority but I believe in Ponder. The addition of Matt Cassel gives me that comfort with his veteran status. I am excited to see Ponder and Cassel work together to give Ponder the confidence he needs in being the starter.

I am so pumped for this offensive unit to build on last year’s success and ending up in the playoffs after so many doubters. I am a fan from start to finish.

I leave with this thought with players willing to jump ship. The NFC North has seen Packers stars, Brett Favre, Darren Sharper, Ryan Longwell and now Greg Jennings leave for Minnesota. The Vikings have seen Chester Taylor leave for Chicago and in turn Bears player Bernard Berrian came to Minnesota. It makes the already fun NFC North just that much more awesome.

The Packers-Vikings rivalry I believe just got heated up more if that is possible as 2012 the Vikings beat Green Bay on a last second field goal to make the playoffs then the next week the Packers knock the Vikings out of the playoffs. Friday March 15, 2013 former Packers, Greg Jennings signs with the Vikings so let the battle begin between fans and the teams.

We have lived through the Brett Favre, Longwell and Sharper changing teams and now the Vikes welcome number 15, Greg Jennings. Welcome to Minnesota Greg.

I will look at the defensive side of the ball coming soon as I know there are holes that need to be filled and with that I believe will come by the draft.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment