Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Getting Closer

Today being Tuesday June 19 and the first day of the Vikings mandatory mini camp really gets me extra pumped . I looked at my Vikings app on my phone. It showed the following, 37 days until Training Camp, 52 days until the Preseason opener, 59 until preseason home opener and finally 82 days until the season opener against Jacksonville.

The heat we have felt the last few days in Minnesota really makes me think of training camp.The heat we unsually get to experience seemingly stays while camp is going. The vendors that sell water during practice got to be loving it.

The stories of Bounty gate have been interesting to read but now it is time to think of the future which no one knows. The team has had two rough years however, I do not believe it can be any worse. I see and feel nothing but positive with this team this upcoming season.The turnover of last years roster and bringing in the youth movement has me excited to see a new chapter in this organization.

I will admit last year I was disappointed in one specific area and that was the tight end position lack of production. I was shocked to not see Visanthe Shiancoe more involved. I feel part of it was the lack of protection the quarterback had as he did not have the time to find specific routes. Shiancoe is now gone and now the youth in this area will take over.

Kyle Rudolph showed glimpses of excellence his rookie season and now in his second year should be real intriguing. The addition of John Carlson is exciting.There has been no football played obviously yet but just the thought of a 6'6" and 6'5" as tight ends should be a huge advantage against defenders.

The offense is headed in the right direction and they will all learn together as a young unit. It starts with Christian Ponder. The offseason everything I have read has been encouraging. The leadership he is trying to show in the offseason with team activities. I also read he got into the weight room. The hits he took last year and still got up was simply amazing.

The receiver group I am as excited as I have been in quite some time. I would really like to see Devin Aromashodu have a great year. Percy is Percy tough through and through. I think of him as the human pin ball. Jerome Simpson I know is suspended the first 3 games but then watch out. I hope he comes out like gang busters and show his value. I like the experience Michael Jenkins brings to this young group.

The running backs with Adrian Peterson leading the way and Toby Gerhart who showed his value last year when Peterson went down. I wish these 2 men good luck in coming back from the surgeries. The dark horse running back I am most excited to see in camp is Jordan Todman who played his college ball at Connecticuti. I watch alot of college football so I got to see him a few times on tv and was he impressive. He is only 5'9 and 193 but size does not always mean anything it is how you can move once you get the ball.

Finally the offensive line will be one of the most watched areas by many people. In losing Steve Hutchinson, Anthony Herrera as starters and now needing to retool. It was a great start with the drafting of Matt Kalil. I know he is not proven on the field so we will see. I for one believe the left side will only be better and with veteran Charlie Johnson next to Kalil should be a huge help.The right side will be a battle at right guard and finally right tackle Phil Loadholt now being around a couple of years needs to prove he is the Vikings long term answer at this spot. I believe he will be dominant. If you have ever met him he is just a monster. It is amazing a guy this big can move so quickly.

If you watch a game on tv or read the paper the talk of how big these guys are is not so easy to unsterstand until you get next to one of these players. I encourage strongly for you to make a trip to Mankato and meet these players who will be wearing purple this season.

I will give my thoughts on the defense in my next blog.

Thank you
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment