Thursday, June 28, 2012

A day of exciting news

The news has finally come to Vikings fans and that news was the release of training camp schedule. This just means the season is that much closer.

I print the schedule of training camp each year and have it laminated and save them. I like to look at the year before and see any differences from previous years. 2011 is hard to judge because of the lockout and the shortness of training camp. I got out other years to compare.

I find this year is very different as far as practice times scheduled. It is so weird not to see morning practices 9-11:30 or so. This 2012 campaign is very different as I look at it. There are 15 morning practices and all but 1 go from 10:30-11:30. The one different is 10:55-11:30.

The years and time I have spent over there I got use to watching 2 and a half hour morning practices usually starting around 9 am. The spirited practices I have seen at times including small skirmishes with guys fighting to make the team will be different.

My day every year is pretty routine where I leave my house by 6:30am to get to Mankato by 7:30 to get ready to watch some football. This year I am not sure with practice starting later. The atmosphere on campus with the players riding bikes,fans mingling and of course the summer heat is all part of camp. I just might stay the course and pull in with the same schedule. It is the best 2-3 weeks of football every day a fan can get.

In staying with the theme of differences of morning practice shorter times comes the walk through instead of years past afternoon walk through.

A popular event with the fans comes after morning practice has different positions on the team come to an area and sign autographs for 20 minutes. There is a timer and when 20 minutes is up a horn sounds and the players leave. It is so fun to see fans making their way through the lines and seeing how many players they can meet. There also comes repsect of other fans as not to be rude when going through lines. The one difference on the schedule I noticed and a small one is the defensive line has been broken into 2 days. One day will be the defensive ends and another day the defensive tackles.

The afternoon practices are very consistent this year for times as well. The 15 afternoon practices, 14 of them are 3-5:30 and the other 1 comes on a  Saturday with 7-9:30. The other item noticed is 13 practices has the team in full pads. If you want to hear some pads popping this is your opportuinity. The other 2 practices has the team in helmets and no pads.

The one reminder in all this is the schedule is subject to change so if you are coming from a distance and not sure maybe with the weather make the call.

One of my favorite days over there is called family day. This one occurs on Saturday Aug 4th. The team is introduced at night after practice followed by some of the best fire works I have ever seen in my life.

Camp is 3 weeks with 15 practice days, also camp is closed 4 days in this period. A preseason game is also during these 3 weeks as the team plays at San Francisco

Camp is free however there may be a parking fee depending on where you park. There are signs posted so keep your eye out.

This is the 47th consecutive year in Mankato and my 19th year of traveling to Mankato. As I tell people in town just come once and see if you like it. It is something for a football fan to be part of. It is a great family experience as well. I believe there is things for all ages at Training Camp. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment