Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The game from a different view

I had been asked to write a Vikings blog for my city paper 3 years ago and it lasted until this season. The subject given me as a season ticket holder was to write a blog from a fan perspective. The stats that are easy to find was not the issue rather it was what did I see at the game. The sights, the sounds, and anything unsusual I would see that people may not find in their own local paper when they read it.
I had so much fun and then a bonus for myself occured. The paper worked with the Vikings organization and I was given a press pass to sit with the media and see what this side of the game was like to take in.

I learned a ton and it was so rewarding. The Vikings media heads were so helpful. They made this experience truly memorable.

The pregame I was invited along with other media to have a breakfast and at halftime I would go down and eat some lunch. It was so interesting to listen to stories and just talk football.

I went in the locker rooms with the other Vikings media and conducted player interviews. I sat in on press conferences after the games with the likes of Sid Hartman, Mark Rosen, Joe Schmit to name a few. It was so much to take in. It is their profession while I was in their learning what goes on in this different side of watching football.

 A noon game I could be there by 10 and go to the press box and get set up. As the game would go on after each quarter stats from the previous quarter would be delivered to each of us so we could write our articles if desired.

A typical Sunday noon game would last for me from 10 am to around 4:30 by the time the last press conference was done. I was given a media credential so I could get in the locker room. Each person is checked before they enter. The players I found in the interviews I did do were wonderful to talk to. The majority of the media carries tape recorders where as I took notes.

I was also put on the Vikings email so I could get the schedule of Winter Park press conferences during the week. I did go to a few and met some tremendous media personalities who showed me the ropes. I tell you there are so many nice and willing people to help me.

I also went to Winter Park practices and took pictures when allowed. They are very clear when you can and can not take pictures or tape practice.

It is so structured so there simply can not be mistakes made. They are honest and open with all rules.
The paper I wrote for gave me an opportunity of a life time.

I commend the Vikings media leaders for making me feel comfortable and were a tremendous help. It is a side of football I really had very little idea what it really is like. I am hopeful one day someone finds me and allows me to continue with a media outlet to write from a fan perspective.

In reading as much as I do from some very talented Vikings media, it gave me a thought to sit down and write my feelings about the last 3 seasons with the media.

Football is so much bigger than just the game and I am here to tesify to that.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment