Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Review of Monday nights game in New York


The Vikings in the last 2 weeks have been outscored 58-17 and have not looked competitive at all. The sad thing as a huge Vikings fan I must say is this team is challenging fans just how much we can take. We have to be honest with ourselves that this team needs severe help. I just do not know where it will come from.

The first half was as ugly of football as one could ever see whether you are a Giants or Vikings fan. I know New York won but the way they looked I would not be surprised if they will 3 games all year. I thought Eli looked terrible but yet they won.

What I did enjoy in the first half was Mike Tirico and John Gruden’s mistakes. One was in reference to Greg Jennings as he was referred to as an ex-Viking. The other was in reference to the Vikes lone touchdown giving credit to Jamarca Sanford for the touchdown. This has got to be a C’mon man. Let’s get our players names right guys.

I also got a good impression that Gruden wanted Ponder to play as he was relentless on his feelings about the Vikings quarterback situation.

The one fact about Ponder is it just might be the first game I have ever seen where Ponder did not smile. The guy looked stone faced and like he just did not want to be there. I really can’t blame him with this carousel of quarterbacks.

One positive from Monday night I felt was the play of the front seven. I thought the top 2 performers were Jared Allen and Erin Henderson. The sack of the year and maybe my lifetime was the sack of Eli Manning by Allen. The strength of Allen to go through the tackle literally and holding Manning by 2 hands and the ability to still take down the qb has got to be a top 10 play on Sports Center on Tuesday.

The play of the offensive line was to be one of our strengths this season. It seems each week this group is getting outmuscled, outhustled just plain outplayed. We have now seen 3 quarterbacks and the same theme has all 3 running for their lives or picking themselves off the ground.

Adrian Peterson’s running game is non-existent with teams destroying the offensive line. In 2013 Peterson is getting hammered at the line consistently and it is only by his own strength that he is getting the extra yards. I worry about an injury to him next with his 2nd and 3rd efforts after getting hit initially.

The play of Josh Freeman showed me that it was too early in his Vikings career to attempt this especially on National TV. The high throws consistently put players in danger of getting killed in the secondary.

 On the flip side I did see some positive with the arm strength and his toughness. The guy took a beating yet kept on getting up. I will say now that the first game is over I look forward to seeing what he can bring to the next game.

Coach Frazier just looks lost and beat. The guy has got to be aging quickly. The ownership will be interesting to see how they handle Monday night’s loss in their home state of New York. I think the world of Leslie but will not be surprised if there is a change soon.

I believe the next game which is on National TV on Sunday night when the Green Bay Packers come to town will be the biggest game for Frazier.

I am sure the Packers have got to be licking their chops but the one hope I have will be the Mall of America fans. I have a bad feeling their will be more Packer fans than usual. A 1-5 record does not eliminate the Vikings but one more loss could seal the fate.

A hope because the division is not that good is if the Vikings could get 2-3 wins in a row we would be right back in the race. First things first and the Vikings must BEAT the Packers.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment