Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Facts and figures in helping you get ready for the Panther's game


It seems like an eternity since the Vikes got their first win of the year. The time has come to talk game day again but not before we need to mention that Winter Park has not exactly been a boring place.

The acquisition of Josh Freeman has been talked about to death and from what I am seeing most of it seems positive. I left Mankato training camp so excited that Ponder would have the year he was supposed to have as a 3rd year starter. It is not over yet officially but I do not believe the team would spend 3 million dollars on a guy to sit on the bench.

The need to win now is becoming loud and clear. The year is not over by any means but when it does end the team is looking at 18 free agents. The decisions that need to be made, the priority of free agents to sign first will be a huge offseason to follow. There are 12 games left so I will enjoy each Sunday even more.

The Vikings on Wednesday did sign Brian Robison to a 4 year extension. I love this signing and I believe it was necessary also believing Robison has earned this. Congrats Brian!!!!

McLeod Bethel Thompson as you know was released and with that my hope is he would survive the 24 hour period in which the Vikes could sign him to the practice squad after time is up. I did not get my wish as the 49ers picked him up. I really think Bethel-Thompson pick up by the 49ers is a great pick up and I hope the Vikes do not regret it.

The stadium development announcing seat licensing fees for a large percent of the seats is a major concern to my wife and me. I have had tickets for 14 seasons but if my seats get the hit I most likely will have to give up my seats. I love the team but also have a family and financial commitments I can’t let down. I am disappointed with this announcement but also add I was not surprised. My seats my not get hit so I will wait and see before I make any decisions.

The announcement that the Minnesota is a finalist for a Super Bowl in 2018 is exciting and I do not see why it would not come here. I still remember watching on TV Buffalo play Washington in the last Super Bowl in 1992. It is hard to believe that is over 20 years ago. Good luck Vikings organization in getting Minnesota this awesome event.

CAROLINA PANTHER GAME

Game time: noon on Fox TV

Broadcast team: Sam Rosen and Brian Billick with Laura Okmin on the sideline.

Las Vegas Odds: Vikes by 2.5

THOUGHTS ON THE PANTHERS

The NFL year is a whack one already and Carolina is part of the madness. Carolina destroys the New York Giants 38-0 and then loses badly to the Arizona Cardinals 22-6.

The Giants are 0-5, but are they that bad to get shut out by Carolina?  Carolina quarterback, Cam Newton gets sacked 7 times by the Cardinals.  This stat has got to fire up Jared Allen and the defensive front in hopes of big numbers like that.

VIKES-PANTHERS SERIES

Minnesota leads the series 6 to 4 that includes a 5-2 home record and a 1-2 record on the road.

VIKINGS-PANTHERS CONNECTIONS

Vikes Coach Leslie Frazier and Panthers’ Coach on Rivera were teammates on the Bears 1985 Super Bowl team.

Viking’s player, Matt Kalil will be part of a family affair. Matt will be facing his brother Ryan for the first time in their pro careers. Matt and Ryan sister, Danielle will be singing the national anthem. What a day it will be for the Kalil family in Minnesota. I of course hope Matt will be the happier of the two brothers.

Christian Ponder has been a huge topic of discussion of what his future is. It is kind of fitting the last time these 2 teams met in 2011 the Vikings won 24-21 and Ponder got his first NFL win.

The same game Adrian Peterson recorded 76 receiving yards which is a career high. Marcus Sherels returned the opening kick 78 yards which is his longest in his career.

The game on Sunday will be Vikings long snapper, Cullen Loeffler’s 144th game in purple which will tie Mike Morris’s team record.

MISCELLNAEOUS FACTS FROM THE STEELERS GAME

Adrian Peterson’s 61 touchdown run along with Greg Jennings 70 yard touchdown reception is the first time since 9/21/03 that the team has had a 60 yard run for a TD and a 70 yard catch for a TD in the same game. Jennings 70 yard touchdown was his 7th TD od at least 70 which puts him in 5th place in NFL history and is tied for first with active players.

Matt Cassel’s 10-10 passing in the 2nd half is only the 2nd Vikings quarterback since 1991 to be perfect in the 2nd half with a minimum of 10 passes. The other quarterback was Daunte Culpepper who accomplished this feat back on 11/08/04. Cassels’ 248 yards is also the 2nd most by a Vikings quarterback making his first start in purple.

CONGRATUALTIONS

Cordarrelle Patterson was named September’s NFC Special Player of the month. Congrats to Flash and the Vikings for drafting him.

MY HOPE FOR THE GAME ON SUNDAY

A WIN OF COURSE, however I would also love to see a complete game and no booing. The last game was nothing but a boo fest. Vikes fans, a lot of teams are losing that are not supposed to lose. If the Vikes can put a string of W’s together anything is possible including the playoffs.

GO VIKES

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment