Monday, October 28, 2013

Hearing Go Pack Go in my sleep




The Packers game at home I look forward to more than any other game and the day had finally came. My wife and I got to Minneapolis 4 hours early and got off to an unpleasant start. Our parking lot went up 5.00 for this game. It seems all games after 3 get the increase. We paid and made our way to the dome.

It was a beautiful afternoon and saw a ton of green and yellow mixing in with my purple family. It is a sight you have to see to believe. The party on the plaza was in full gear. Sunday was a little extra special for me because it was the first time I have ever got the chance to see the Sunday night bus in person. It was parked right in the area known as Party on the Plaza. There were several people getting pictures right in front of the bus. I was so excited to see this awesome vehicle. I ran into a problem when I noticed something wrong with the bus. It was hard to believe but one player was missing on the side of the bus and that was Adrian Peterson. I found Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers but no AP. I was in shock.

We made our way in to the stadium early to go down low and take pictures of players. It is the last Vikings-Packers game in the dome so I wanted some extra memories.

We then made our way down the stands to watch NBC’s pregame with Bob Costas and Hines Ward in action. I was in heaven seeing all this in person.

The pregame introduction we found the Vikings offensive starters would be introduced one by one. Greg Jennings was first and it seemed 50-50 with booing and cheering. The next unusual thing was instead of introducing the offensive line one by one they were announced the unit’s names and they came out onto the field as one. Ponder was introduced to I thought a good percent of booing. I was not sure how people would feel but I soon found out. The last to make the appearance was Adrian. The Mall of America Field was rocking like I have not seen for quite some time.

Former Viking Joey Browner was the one to blow the Gjlarhorn Sunday night. I found some oddity in this only for one reason. It has been in the past the person blows the Gjlahorn and then the team runs onto the field. Sunday Joey did not blow it until just before kickoff.

The kickoff I am sure most of you saw the result so I will only add if the roof could have blown off it would have. This place was unbelievably loud and I took pleasure in watching Packers fans faces in disbelief.

The game as in unrolled was painful to watch. The Packers did what they wanted when they wanted to. I watched Jared Allen and Brian Robison seemingly often getting around the edge only to see Rodgers go up and around them. It was so frustrating to see these guys work their butts off but to no avail.

I thought the touchdown by Adrian Peterson with 4 seconds left in the half may have given the team a spark being only down 7 at the half. I felt so good and now will enjoy the halftime as we saw Joey Browner get inducted into the Vikings Ring of Honor. Zygi Wilf came to the podium and I will tell you I heard a lot of booing. I was actually shocked to hear this much but also understand people’s frustrations with the PSL’s coming. I know I will not be able to afford this if my seat is affected. I will not worry until it actually does happen.

The second half was more frustration watching the Packers continue to dominate on both sides of the ball. The chants by the Packer fans GO PACK GO, you could hear very easily. It is so hard to hear that in my own home stadium.

I noticed with about 13 minutes left in the game a lot of fans filing out and making their way out of the stadium.

I had concerns all night about what I was seeing out of my favorite team. One play comes to mind as I saw Ponder drop back to pass with Greg Jennings was running down towards the goal line open. Jennings was wide open and Ponder threw behind his open receiver badly drawing a huge chorus of boos.

I have one more concern and that was the Vikings scored a touchdown in the 4th quarter to pull the Vikes to be down 41-23 with the extra point pending. I felt the team should go for 2 to make it a 16 point game. I know it is a long shot to come back but to settle for the extra point made no sense to me. We are down now 3 scores instead of 2 if the team would have made the 2 point play. It is only my thinking and the game is now over.

The clock came to 0:00 and the chant GO PACK GO seemed to go on and on even as we were leaving the stadium. I walked to my car and I could hear the chant in the next lot.

It is another national TV game where the team failed miserably. I am still am a passionate fan but am extremely disturbed with these outcomes all season.

This is now the 3rd game with the Vikings scoring on their first touch and to lose all 3 of these is discouraging.
 
 

 
Sunday the team travels to Dallas so by then I will be ready to cheer my beloved purple on. I will be watching and listening Tuesday as the trade deadline occurs. I will not be shocked if 1 or more of the team is traded off. I hate to see it but I know the team is in trouble.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment