Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Football, 365 a year and loving it!!!!


The statement that football is a year round sport is never truer. The NFL Network coverage is superb and never gets old. It is only Wednesday and we have already had some big story lines including a retirement and a player going back to his old team. They both involve the best division in football. Yes, I am referring to the NFC North.

The Vikings see these 2 players twice a year and now will have to get use to not seeing Brian Urlacher, Bears middle linebacker any more as Wednesday he announced his retirement.

As a huge Vikings fan I do not like the Bears but I did respect the play of Brian Urlacher and his ability to play. The man could make plays and always seemed to be in the right spot at the right time.  It will seem strange not to see Brian roaming the middle.

Charles Woodson long time thorn in the side of the Vikings has gone back to where he started his career and will wear the silver and black of the Oakland Raiders. It will be real strange when watching Vikings-Packers game and no Woodson in the defensive backfield. Charles was the 4th overall pick in the 1998 draft by Oakland. He played in Oakland until 2006 when he signed with the Pack and has given the Vikes fits since. I will not mind not seeing Woodson in Green and Yellow anymore.  Another NFC North team I do not like but will say I believe Woodson will be in the Hall of Fame one day.

I feel the both have had Hall of Fame careers and I would not be shocked to see them one day in Canton.

The other news comes from the owners meetings with NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell. The 2014 draft will occur in May with the weekend undecided as of yet.

It has been an April tradition as long as I can remember. Life is full of change and this is change. The draft is the draft no matter when but it does mean having to wait longer to see who our favorite team’s draft.

My wife and my wedding anniversary is April 28th and we always involve the draft as part of our anniversary whether it means spending time at the Vikings draft party or not. The selfish side of me loves the draft at this time but I am only one fan and can’t change the NFL’s minds.

The other storyline I found interesting is the Pro Bowl having captains.  They would pick players on their team from the guys that were chosen to make the trip to Hawaii. It reminds me of when I was little and we would play neighborhood sports with 2 guys picking their teams. I of course always hoped I would get on the good team and my name was chosen one of the first ones and not last. It will be real interesting to see how serious they take this approach. I love this idea and hope it works.

We cannot lose the Pro Bowl. It is an all-star game and for Vikings fans look who was the MVP of last year’s game, Kyle Rudolph. He was a last minute replacement and boy did he strike gold.

The NFL, best sport in the world is hopping and full of news on a daily basis. The middle of the week and we already have much to talk about.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment