Monday, May 27, 2013

Training Camp just around the corner

    2012 DRAFT CLASS



The Vikings minicamp starts Tuesday May 28th and goes to Thursday May 30th. It is one step closer to the public being able to see the men trying out for the 53 spots that will play every week this upcoming season.

It would be unfair to leave it at that because guys also have a chance if not making the active squad they have a chance to make the practice squad which is great as well. We never want an injury but it does happen the practice squad guys may have a chance to be one of the 53.

We are getting closer to late July when the guys roll into camp and fans can start making their journey to Mankato.

It is a chance to meet the guys. This will be my 20th year of making the trip to Mankato. I have met every draft choice since 1998 in camp except for one.

1999 the Vikings had 2 number 1 picks, Daunte Culpepper and Dimitrius Underwood. It was the first practice for the team and after that Underwood left camp. It is the only number 1 choice I did not get a picture of.

The rush of getting an autograph from a player is not the same thrill it used to be for me. I love watching people put every effort forth to try. I have found a new passion and that is asking for a picture with a player.

I have taken pictures with over 400 different players through the years. The only one who has ever turned me down was in 1998 when Randy Moss was a rookie. It is their right and I respect that but if a guy says sure, what a neat feeling to get a picture taken with a player. I did get a picture of him which was a thrill as well.

I never will in a life time guarantee success. I say you have nothing to lose and much to gain.

Come on over and try your hand at watching practice followed by a chance to meet the guys.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick



No comments:

Post a Comment