Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Thoughts on the Seahawks game


Sunday August 18th was the day of the Steele County Free Fair and on top of that was the Minnesota Vikings first home game of the preseason. These two events I love but the Vikes get the nod as I can’t wait to get to my home away from home.

The weather was absolutely beautiful and with that we came within sight on our walk to US Bank and saw the enormous doors open. My heart was already pounding with excitement and add the doors open and I was ready for football. I could not believe how many fan were outside the stadium with so much energy. It is nice as we enter the west side of the stadium we do not have to look into the sun. It’s a picturesque night and fans taking selfies and regular pictures was abound.

We got to our seats and the stadium seemed empty and as we looked to our left which is the big open doors there was hundreds of fans waiting to get in.

The introduction of the Minnesota Vikings team by way of the PA along with the Skol chant gives me chills just thinking about it. I will add the Gjallahorn was blown by a young man from Minneapolis North High School and I had no idea about him but as it was made clear later in the game this young man was involved in a house fire and was badly burned but his desire to play football was made evident here. This young man overcame so much after being badly burned and now today he is a High school football player at North.

All this has gone done and we have not even kicked off the ball but soon we had as Paul Allen from KFAN would say “we have the boom.”

The first two preseason games has shown us a glimpse of the new offense and with that said we are seeing Kirk Cousins roll out instead of hanging in the pocket and with that being said no sacks as of yet.

The connection we have seen between Cousins and Adam Thielen is almost like there was no offseason and the connection continues. I love sitting in the upper level because of throws like Cousins did to Thielen. I watched Cousins throw it deep and even better watched Thielen get under and catch it.  If anyone saw the game you had to laugh because Seahawks coach Pete Carroll threw the challenge flag saying Thielen should have been called for Offensive pass interference. Thielen stood on the sideline next to Carroll and the Seattle bench laughing as he appeared to be questioning the challenge when clearly Adam did not push off.

It was Week one in New Orleans the Vikings were called for 13 penalties and even though it’s preseason this is unacceptable so it was nice to see the team cut the number to six.

The offseason, Training Camp and Preseason is a chance for each player to show why they belong on the 53 man roster and with any good team on any level it’s so important to have quality depth.

It’s an argument where there is no win but when guys stand up and make great plays usually the comeback is well it was against the 2nd, 3rd and 4th team. It may be so but still the player has to make a play.

I watched the game because it’s what I love to do but I also lool for guys that stood out to me. I will start with the Quarterbacks and you may disagree with me but I am really liking Kyle Sloter over Sean Mannion. Sloter is a very exciting and very athletic player to watch plus I like his arm.

I know Dalvin Cook is the starter and has not played yet so I have go to watch Mike Boone and Alexander Mattison run and run hard plus showing their receiving skills.

I am a big fan of Tight End, Irv Smith Jr. amd hos hands and add he caught his first NFL TD granted n preseason. I am so excited for Kyle Rudolph and Smith Jr as a one two punch for Cousins.

Wide receivers are always fun because after Thielen and Stefon Diggs there is no real clear cut 3rd receiver yet. If I was the GM I would whole heartedly easily keep Brandon Zylstra and Chad Beebe as 3rd and 4th receiver. I know Laquon Treadwell was the leading receiver but I will not be shocked on one of the cuts if we read # 11 was released.

The defensive side of the ball one player really stood out and he is not a rookie but #27 Jayron Kearse had a monster night. I am a big fan of his special teams play the last couple years but hopefully he will see the field more.

I was concerned with the first team pass defense as Russell Wilson seemed free to run and find wide receivers. I know one throw it appeared Trae Waynes got turned around. It seemed like communication was lacking at times but then comes Harrison Smith from his deep safety to lay a perfectly timed hit on the receiver to knock the ball free.

The kicking game will be interesting because I really liked the punting from newly acquired, Kaare Vedvik minus his last punt that seemed flat and returnable. I did like Vedvik’s kickoffs and Dan Bailey being successful on the extra points. This battle with the kickers will be real intriguing.

One of the rookies showed me extreme toughness and that was #81 Bissi Johnson who failed to fair catch a punt and paid the price yet did not fumble and I thought he had a nice tough run on a kickoff. I know on the post-game show KFAN Coach Zimmer mentioned Johnson’s name as well.

That’s all for now as Game three is Saturday at home noon vs the Arizona Cardinals. I always love the 3rd game because typically the starters play to the half.

Thank you for reading

Go Vikes

No comments:

Post a Comment