Saturday, August 31, 2019

A look at the Vikes 53 man roster


The Minnesota Vikings finished getting down to the 53 man roster late Saturday and of course things can change sooner than later but I really thought the day was unusual like Training Camp and its’s changes for fans.

I still was shocked just not too long ago when the Vikes stunned me by trading for Ravens kicker, Kaare Vednik for a 5th round pick next year. I am not sure what it is about the Vikes and their 5th round and kickers. I was also disappointed when long snapper, Kevin McDermott contract was terminated as well although when the team drafted in the 7th round Austin Cutting I had a bad feeling for Kevin.

I look forward each year to this date and see how many rookies make the squad and if any veteran are a surprise cut.

It has been quite a few years where Marcus Sherels name was speculated as if he would be released or not and he seem to make it every year until this offseason he left for the New Orleans Saints by way of free agency. I did read Saturday that this poor young man was out on the IR so I wish Marcus a speedy recovery even if he is with the Saints.

Saturday seemed very slow to me as I watched Twitter more than I normally do to see the cuts both by the Vikings and the rest of the NFL. I know a former Vikes draft choice, Danny Isadora was traded by the Vikes a couple days ago to the Miami Dolphins and Miami is where Danny played college football so he gets to go home.

I had spoken about Marcus Sherels how each Training Camp would he make the squad or not well the name this year was former first round pick, Laquon Treadwell and would he survive? The answer was no but the Vikes wanted to trade him before 3:00 deadline or would release him. The team found no suitors so Treadwell will no longer wear # 11 in purple.

This day became more strange and strange as real no surprise cuts but to see the team release Vednik after trading for him seemed painful as giving up a pick and letting him go was head scratching to me. I am glad Dan Bailey will remain our kicker but still must be honest shocked how Vednik was handled.

I was a fan of Quarterback, Kyle Sloter and I am obviously not a GM or coach but as a fan I really liked what he offered but the Vikes disagreed with me and let him go by 3:00 as well. I wish Kyle nothing but great wishes for his future.

The Vikes really kept me off balance trying to predict how many players would be kept at each positon and I see the team kept 10 offensive and 10 defensive lineman. This makes a huge statement to me seeing the Vikes understand it’s where the game is won in the trenches and to have depth that can rotate in is even bigger.

I was a big fan of Wide Receiver, Brandon Zylstra as he was the guy I watched closely as I tend to pick one guy each camp in hope they make the 53 man roster but to my disappointment he did not. I thought after Treadwell was released this might give Brandon a shot but no. I am truly shocked the team went with only 4 wide receivers as Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Chad Beebe and 2019 draft pick, Olabisi Johnson were the chosen four for now. I do think Johnson earned his keep having a pretty nice camp and preseason games.

The team kept four tight ends with only one name I was shocked they kept as honestly I don’t know much about him as Brandon Dillon is the name I speak of.

The team kept five running backs and I love each one and what they bring as Dalvin Cook, Alexander Mattison. Mike Boone, Ameer Abdullah and CJ Ham are the running back stable with Ham used more as a fullback.

The NFL was draft was back in April and there the Minnesota Vikings took 12 different players and as I check out the cuts I finally only two did not survive as of yet and I am hoping potential practice squad as Linebacker, Cameron Smith and Wide Receiver, Dillon Smith were the two who did not make the 53 man squad.

Another add was when the Vikes traded for Mark Fields a defensive back from the Kansas City Chiefs. Fields had the 9th fastest time at the 2019 combine in Indianapolis and his Dad Mark Sr played for three NFL teams. Panthers, Saints and Rams and played linebacker in his days in the NFL.

The 53 man roster is set for the season but as we as fans know the roster can change somewhat or drastically as I use the example of the Houston Texans trading Jadaveon Clowney to the Seattle Seahawks which is extremely bad news for the NFC and specifically the Vikes as the Purple sees Seattle later this season.

My hope is this Vikings 53 man roster is ready to make a push deep in the playoffs but I will let you know the Arizona Cardinals noon game at US Bank I left disgusted as the third game where the starters typically play until half or maybe early Third quarter I saw nothing I liked with the exception of the Dalvin Cook 85 yard touchdown. I just did not see a team who is ready for the season at that point. I do have faith in Coach Zimmer and staff as I am assuming if this fan saw bad football I would assume the coaching staff saw it to and were even more upset than I was.

I am a positive person and love my team so when the noon kickoff at US Bank Stadium when the Vikings host the Atlanta Falcons I will be jacked up sky high.

Thank you for reading

Go Vikes

Purplestick

SKOL!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment