Saturday, August 10, 2019

Impressive Vikes win in New Orleans


The preseason games gets us closer and closer to the regular season but as a fan it’s a chance to see the potential starters for a series or so and then the fight of a lifetime as 90 players are doing everything they can to show why they belong in the NFL. Yes, players will be cut but if these guys do enough on film the other 31 teams may just pick them up.

Yes the game was in New Orleans but I can’t help but reflect back on the NFC Championship game otherwise known as Bountygate. Oh well that’s over and it’s time to look at the future.

The Vikes come out with a win in a very entertaining high scoring first game of the preseason game. I saw so many positives out of the purple with very few negatives.

I will start with the negatives because it’s an easy one if anyone saw the game and that was way too many penalties. I  know at halftime we saw the interview by Greg Coleman with Coach Zimmer and Coach made the same point and even called out a player, Laquon Treadwell wo made the blindside block which was called. If you saw the interview Coach stated we even talked the night before how you can no longer block like that. I don’t know if I have ever heard a coach use a player’s name in regards to a penalty in a preseason game. This does not bode well for Treadwell as the much talked about former first round pick is trying to keep his hopes for the third receiver.

I want to look at the positives out of both the veterans and rookies starting with the Vikes first drive lead by Kirk Cousins who took the first team down the field and ended the drive with a TD.

The drive saw a couple penalties that set the offense back yet they overcame them and still scored. I thought the offensive line looked decent in that drive and one particular play a hole was opened and Kirk took the ball up the hole and managed to get a first down with a nice safe slide. Kirk’s ability to roll out and hit Kyle Rudolph was nice to see and even nicer seeing Rudolph get the extra yards after the catch although I was nervous as he did not seem to secure the ball at times of the run.

The deep ball from Cousins to Adam Thielen was one of beauty and mystical and how he caught that in double coverage. It’s just another day on the job for Adam. I was disappointed the touchdown was ruled short although a correct call was made but nice to see Kirk roll out and hit a wide open Alexanders Mattison for his first NFL TD.

The extra point by Dan Bailey I was anxious to see being it’s been a concern way to many times in the past. The kick was right down the middle and in fact another positive out of the night was all extra points were drilled right down the middle which was extremely gratifying to see.

Friday night was a night of so many positives and I will start with the running backs. I loved how hard all ran and most importantly only one  fumble but in this case was extremely bad judgement by Ameer Abdullah trying to switch arms shortly after getting the handoff. The power Alexander Mattison ran with was impressive and Mike Boone’s 64 yard burst was awesome to watch.

The Tight Ends came to play as well as it’s been said and written about the Tight Ends would be used more than ever. I loved a pass from back up Sean Mannion to Tyler Conklin who not only caught the ball but used his speed to extend the play 30 more yards. We got to see Irv Smith Jr. in action as well and I do not feel he disappointed. This group of guys will be a tough group to cut I guarantee it.

I know Sean Mannion is a veteran and brought in to back up Kirk Cousins and I did think he played well including a nice touchdown pass but I am still intrigued by Kyle Sloter as was pointed out by the broadcast team Sloter is a little more quick on his reads. This will be a battle to follow.

Preseason is a chance like I said for players to make plays who may not make the team but will be on tape for others to watch and in this case Vikes # 44 Nate Meadors was Johnny on the spot as a Saints tight end bobbled the pass and went right into Nate’s awaiting arms and there he goes to the house and was even able to do a little celebration. I have to be happy for a young man who is in a fight for the very least a practice squad spot.

One name who is getting a lot of notice in camp and spoke highly of last night in the broadcast was # 51 Hercules Mata’afa. It was pointed out he is a player who is rare and that is he uses no gloves. Hercules made an incredible sack and by that I man the guy was being held the whole time and he still gets to the quarterback. Hercules did take a bad penalty last night but I thought overall he was way more positive than negatives in his play. The know is he I listed as a DT but is 6’2” and 254 so you can see he is undersized but is he ever quick. I am going to camp this week and will be sure to keep an eye on him.

I loved the performance overall and know there is a ton to work on but It made for a great night of sleep. I will add one thing in closing and that is Coach Zimmer need to wear more sun screen in Eagan.

That’s all for now

Thanks for reading

Go Vikes

Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment