Wednesday, August 7, 2019

2019 Early Vikings Training Camp thoughts


As you may know I am a huge Vikings fan and had spent 25 years at Mankato Training Camp using two to three weeks of vacation to watch my favorite team practice not one but twice a day. A major change occurred as you know and that was the Training Camp was moved to TCO in Eagan, Minnesota. It was honestly a tough, tough transition for me as something new and I had no choice but to go with the flow. Camp is important to me because it’s where I see the Adam Thielen’s or Marcus Sherels make the 53 man roster the hard way. 2018 Camp ended I honestly kind of liked the new complex and had a very good time but never as good as the times in Mankato.

2019 Training Camp comes knocking on my door once again but this time news I would really not sit well with me. I have spent literally hundreds of hours through the years and then I get an email from the Vikings that fans would be allowed two days max to go. I was beside myself thinking why on earth would there be a two day limit? I also noticed the schedule by way of email earlier before camp and there I see goodbye two a days for fans. Yes, I know the morning practice typically is a walk through and very manila but it’s a chance for me to see my guys and take pictures from the stands. I had a goal every year to take at least one picture of each player at camp and make my own year book. This team has challenged me to see if I can get my normal pictures of players in a one practice per day and only come to Eagan twice. I am such a fan I know my hands are tied but I will make the most of it as this is my team I cheer for each and every Sunday. This 2019 season is my 20th year of season tickets and proud to say I have missed only two games ever.

I finally went to Camp the first Sunday and sat through rain but I tell you I feel like a kid in a toy store watching the team do its work. I had familiarity from last year where to go and where the best spot to watch practice. I had read like most of you about the draft picks but I was so excited to see them in person. I left camp that day really impressed with rookie Alexander Mattison the young Running back out of Boise State. It was strange to see # 25 not be Latavius Murray rather Mattison. I really felt he looked like he is extremely quick and has a nice glide through the hole. I was also impressed with last year rookie free agent, Chad Beebe who is looking to lock up the number three receiver spot.

 I watched the offensive line to see how the potential starters would be and they were from left to right: Riley Reiff, Pat Elflein, Garrett Bradbuy, Joe Kline and Brian O’Neil. It was also great to see on the defensive side of the ball, Everson Griffin and his great personality out there smiling and whooping it up. It was strange seeing a new number 35 as Marcus Sherels has left for New Orleans Saints in the offseason.

The day was nothing special other than my own satisfaction sitting in the bleachers and taking in a practice that was supposed to be 2:00-4:25 but the weather forecast was not looking good so a n announcement was made that practice would be 1:00-3:25 and that worked just great for me as I was so eagerly waiting the start of practice.

The next time I went was family night on Saturday August 3rd and I believe it was my 22nd straight family night an event I hope you can make it to some year.

I am in heaven as the team came to the stadium field and practiced in front of a sold out crowd. It’s so hard to watch at times because I watched the defensive line destroy the Offensive line at times which is great for the D but concerning for the Line. I watched Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen time after time make crazy athletic catches. Yeah Diggs and Thielen but not yeah for Trae Waynes and Xavier Rhodes. I really liked the accuracy of Kirk Cousins most of the night except when he threw right to the linebacker, Eric Wilson.

I have learned through the years to remind myself to stay calm and don’t get my blood pressure up by seeing greatness or disappointment. It is truly practice making the guys better for the team sake.

I am real intrigued by Irv Smith Jr, Tight End from Alabama and seeing him on the field making catch after catch I only envision him down the seam from Cousins. He is a big kid with nice speed. I will watch how he blocks when it comes to preseason games.

I know the last couple years the kicking game has been awful to say the least and then the team signs Dan Bailey late last year who was supposed to be very accurate saw his accuracy as times questionable. It’s a new year and now a full Training Camp for Dan to see how he does. The family night he looked good minus hitting the upright twice.

This whole Training Camp and Preseason games have me very excited as I can’t wait to see this new offense put to work. I have read the team may only keep two quarterbacks and keep an extra tight end,

In referring to Quarterbacks we know Kirk Cousins is locked into number one and the team did sign Sean Mannion in which I was not that impressed the two days I went rather the Quarterback that caught my eye was Kyle Sloter who wears number 1. It’s a guy I want to pay special attention in preseason games.

Camp is the best time of year and now I find out the two day max was lifted so I of course took 2 more days to take in the 2019 Minnesota Vikings.

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

Go Vikes






No comments:

Post a Comment