Sunday, December 8, 2013

Review of the Ravens game- The ending, one word- UNBELIEVABLE


I know there are many fans that are hoping 2014 will bring a high draft pick to the team but I just want to see this team win even if it does cost a few spots in the draft.

This goes down as another game in the 2013 season where I am left with my head shaking on all the what ifs. It is a season that no one could have ever guessed would happen the way things are.

I thought an early key to the game came on the fumble by Toby Gerhart? I still don’t believe it was a fumble and definitely saw a knee down. We also know the announcers said the same which makes it even harder to stomach. What on earth was Morelli looking at? The game should have been 6-0 at half in favor of the Vikings.

The first quarter saw Vikings linebacker, Chad Greenway make a nice interception and a great hustle sack by Brian Robison. The sack dance by Robison, is there a better sack celebration than what Brian does? I love when he sets the hook and reals it in.

I can’t help but feel when I was watching the game the memories flash back of the Monday night Bears-Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium coming back in my mind.

The first half only being down by a point I really thought this was a winnable game. The Ravens offense was not putting up numbers against the last ranked defense in the NFL.

The 3rd and 4th quarter stops on 4th down by the Vikings defense really made me feel that maybe we will get that first win on the road.

The Vikings intercept Ravens quarterback, Joe Flacco 3 times and yet the Vikings still end up losing. It is the most unbelievable thing to watch from the couch. It is a lost season yet when we see the team need to make one stop and they will win and can’t it is hard not to get upset. I am a Vikings fan until the day I die win or lose. I just want the best for the team.

This is 2 weeks in a row where I thought the Vikings won, and then they did not, then they did and now Sunday December 7th they lost. One word comes to mind and that is UNBELIEVABLE.

The look on Coach Frazier’s face at the end I can’t help but feel for him. I am sure I am in the minority in saying this.

A loss did occur but I would like to examine some of the positives with guys trying to make a difference.

I start out with the enemy today. I thought the performance by Ravens’ punter Sam Koch was very impressive. It is snowing, the ball is slippery and yet he hits a 53 and 69 yard punt during the game.

Now for the good guys I still start out with the special teams unit of long snapper, Cullen Loeffler, holder, Jeff Locke and kicker, Blair Walsh. The 2 field goals were well done. The effort by Locke to get the pot cleared out so he could hold the ball properly for a successful kick,

Adrian getting hurt was unfortunate but I loved Toby Gerhart’s effort in taking advantage of his playing time. The touchdown run in the 4th was awesome. The ability he showed to get hit and yet maintain his balance and score I could not be happier for Toby.

The play of Xavier Rhodes once again shows me reason why I should be excited for 2014 knowing he will be the number one corner. The injury Rhodes suffered was not a good time especially the way he has been playing

New middle linebacker, Audie Cole has played his butt off. He once again on Sunday led the team in tackles. The last 3 weeks he has had 33 tackles. Cole’s 2013 story is one of the better ones. He gets cut recently, the resigned and now in charge of the defense. It is story for all players league wide never to give up because you never know what is in store for the future.

Safety, Andrew Sendejo has taken advantage of Harrison Smith’s absence. Sunday Sendejo made a great break on the ball that ended with a diving interception.

Coach Frazier has been through the ringer whether self-induced or not. Sunday he made his first challenge of the season. I guess the long season we have suffered through I did not realize that fact. It was a great challenge as the Ravens did not get the first down.

Offensive Coordinator, Bill Musgrave has been through the ringer as well. The play call for a draw to Gerhart in the 4th was one of beauty.

Jerome Simpson too has been a story of late with the off field situations. I loved his touchdown grab in the back of the end zone. His first touchdown of the year was one of beauty.

Cordarelle Patterson- Are there enough words to describe what he brings? His ability to catch the ball is not surprising but what is something to marvel at is his punishing running method. I do not know if I have seen a game out of him where he destroyed players. The one run where Raven’s kicker, Tucker was demolished.

Tight End, John Carlson came through big on Sunday. I think back to early in the game where Jerome Simpson caught the ball and got stripped. John Carlson was Johnny on the spot diving and sliding and getting the ball back for the Vikings. I was less than thrilled when the Ravens defender late in the game through Carlson down on his head on the sidelines. I really thought a flag should have been thrown. John was then out of the game and being checked for a concussion.

These losses are tough but as you can see I believe it is not from a lack of effort by individuals. I also look at the play Marcus Sherels had as he drew coverage on a Ravens receiver after Rhodes went out with his injury. The alertness y Sherels on the coverage and seeing a ball tipped and comes down with it for an interception.

A loss like this used to crush me but in 2013 the season just is not meant to be. I will follow and support the team the last 3 games and then I will get ready for the 2014 campaign.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment