Sunday, December 1, 2013

Review of the Bears game- Thriller ends in OT

WALSH GAME WINNING KICK IN OT
 

The day began as I started out making my way up 35 going north to the game. My initial thought was I in Minnesota because for the first 30 miles or so I either saw cars with Illinois or Iowa plates going buy me.

I got to the stadium and did not fare much better as I got to my seat and discovered Bears fans in front, behind and next to me. I must say as the game went on these were some of the best fans I have encountered from the opposition.

The Vikings offense was announced Sunday and when it came for Ponder to get announced the booing rang out throughout Mall of America Field.

The booing soon continued as Chicago kicked off but not as I had hoped. Bears kicker, Robbie Gould kept the ball away from Minnesota’s newest weapon, Cordarelle Patterson. This did not please the fans as they showed their displeasure by booing the Bears. I guess I do not blame teams from kicking to the number one return man in the league. My other thought was, what does this do to a kick coverage team confidence when the coach calls for short kicks?

The first 3 drives by the Vikings resulting in 3 different sacks of Ponder certainly did not help his cause in keeping the boo birds quiet.

I must add with all the criticism of Bill Musgrave’s play calling I thought the best play of the year was called in the 2nd quarter when Cordarrelle Patterson lined up as the running back and Toby Gerhart was put out wide. The play resulted in a touchdown from Patterson who exhibited his speed and strength.

I will also add I do not know if I have ever been to a Vikings game where the players coming on and off the field seemed real disorganized. I would watch Safety, Robert Blanton and linebacker, Marvin Mitchell come on, come off and come on again each taking turns. It seemed like mas chaos. It seemed the offense had the same watching receivers struggling to know if they should be on the field or not. It was a strange sight and one that I have not seen with the amount it did happen. I am not the coach and maybe it was designed that way but as a fan seemed out of character.

The first 3 quarters had a few nice plays by both sides but generally other than that it seemed boring with no one wanting to score.

The fourth quarter and overtime I got my money’s worth, I thought the play of the game came with less than two minutes left in the game with the Vikes on their own 8 and it is 4th down. If the Vikes don’t make it the Bears take over and will win. The drop back by Cassel and finding Jerome Simpson for 20 yards was unbelievable. Is this going to be Minnesota’s day finally? The Vikes end up getting a field goal late in the fourth quarter by Blair Walsh. I figured overtime for sure after this.

The next surprise to me was after seeing Bears return man, Devin Hester being bottled up or fair catching for the majority of the game now take this kick and go 57 yards. I thought for sure he was gone until I see Vikes kicker, Walsh make the play of his early career by forcing Hester out of bounds.

The overtime was as exhausting as I have ever seen. Fans from both teams saw Blair Walsh kick the game winning field goal so we all thought. The Vikings fans were jumping up and down while the Bears fans were sunken in their chairs in disappointment. The next thing we see a yellow flag and the Vikings were called for a face mask taking away the field goal.  Bear fans were back on their feet in hopes of maybe stealing a win.

The Bears drive to field goal range. I still question Bears coach, Trestman for calling for a 47 yard field goal so early in downs. I thought they should have tried passing at least once but instead the Bears line up for the game winner. My seats are even with the goal post he was kicking at so I had to wait to see what the umpires did with their arms. I saw the motion of no good along with a huge crowd noise as he missed it.

I see Bears fans sit again in disbelief and then the Vikings fans get another shot. The play of Adrian Peterson on Sunday was as good as I have ever seen at home. He took the last drive and put the team on his back. The team puts Blair Walsh out for another shot and this time he did not disappoint. The VIKES WIN!!!!!

PLAYERS THAT IMPRESSED SUNDAY

QB- Matt Cassel led the team back from a 10 point deficit. He also had the completion on 4th down.

WR’s- Greg Jennings showed Sunday what he is capable of when used. Jerome Simpson seemed to make the catch when needed. Jarius Wright has been playing better as of late and then Sunday made the grab on the sideline while falling.

RB- Adrian Peterson- 35 carries for 211 yards and breaking the 10,000 yardage plateau. The 35 carries is a personal high and the 211 yards all I can say is I was there to see it happen.

LB- Audie Cole who has taken over the middle linebacker spot has really looked sharp and on Sunday he was consistently around the ball.

DB- Xavier Rhoes is really emerging and on Sunday played Brandon Marshall very tough as Marshall did not have many receptions.

DE- Brian Robison and Jared Allen I thought had a very good day in keeping pressure on Bears quarterback, McCown.

K- Blair Walsh making the game winning kick, along with his game saving tackle.

MY SURPRISE OF THE DAY

The amount of fair catches made by all world Devin Hester. I even talked to Bears fans by me who were shocked in what they were seeing.

BEARS FANS- I had Bears fans shake my hands in congratulating us on the Vikings win. These fans were super nice to talk to and discuss our dislike for the Packers team.

SUMMARY

The subject that will not go away is if the Vikings win our draft choice drops. I was at the game and it is hard not to cheer for the Purple. You can see the excitement on the sidelines by the players. Fans may not want the wins but the player’s sure do. It is beating a fellow division team and bragging rights for the fans at least for this day. I am emotionally drained yet so happy the result in the end was a win.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment