Sunday, December 15, 2013

Eagles game in review- Offense sparkles


The Vikings hosted the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday at noon. The Vikes are out of the playoffs while the Eagles are fighting for the NFC East title. The question is who will want the game worse?

The pregame started with one of the best renditions of the National Anthem I Have ever heard. The singer was former Vikings defensive lineman, Esera Tuaola. I don’t believe I have heard fans talk right after just how good it was.

The Gjlarhorn was blown by former Vikings quarterback, Daunte Culpepper. It was so neat to see him once again in the dome. I did think it was unusual that he did not have his old jersey on. He instead was dressed sharp in a suit and tie.

The defensive players were introduced on Sunday. It is hard to believe it has come down to the secondary starters as Marcus Sherels and Shaun Prater as the cornerbacks and Andrew Sendejo and Jamarca Sanford were the safeties. I know the Eagles are a high power offense so I could only hope this make shift secondary could play big,

No Adrian or Toby Gerhart so Matt Asiata gets the call to start in the backfield. I loved the effort Matt gave with 30 carries for 51 yards. The yardage was not great but when it counted Matt took advantage and scored his first 3 touchdowns of his career.

The play of Matt Cassel cannot go without saying I thought he played a brilliant game on Sunday. Yes, he had an interception but other than that he was right on target. The connection he had with Greg Jennings was so fun to watch. I found out after the game that the 11 catches Greg had was a career high.

The Philadelphia Eagles had gone 9 games in a row without giving up over 21 points. What do the Vikings do? They lay 48 on this potential playoff team.

I loved the tackling effort on Eagles running back, LeSean McCoy. He ended up with 38 yards on the ground.

Eagles quarterback, Nock Foles had a ton of pressure put on him by two Vikes in particular and they were Brian Robison and Jared Allen. These 2 had 2 sacks each on Sunday. Foles had over 400 yards but most of them I believe came as the result of them trying to keep with the Vikings scoring machine. I watched the young Vikings secondary keep everything in front of them. Eagle’s receiver, DeSean Jackson was the soreness in the Vikings side as he made some of the Vikings tacklers look rather silly.

I would like to mention the halftime show which was the All- Metrodome team being introduced. There are 27 players who made the list. There were six not in attendance and they were Robert Smith, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Percy Harvin, Antoine Winfield and Coach Dennis Green. It was one ovation after another except for 2. The boo birds came out when Harvin and Coach Green’s name were called out. It was still a true thrill to see the guys from the past and with each I have a ton of memories.

This Vikings team has the terrible record which is a fact. The frustrating thing about that is the offense is continually putting up big numbers on the scoreboard. It is just another strange fact about the 2013 season.

The Vikings had lost the first 3 in a row at home this season and now have won the last 3 including Sundays win over the Eagles.

I sit in my seat knowing the stadium is coming to an end. It is truly sad as I have so many memories through the years. The Lions game will be an emotional day for me. Yes, I am excited for the new stadium but I can still have thoughts running through my head of just how much I will miss the stadium. I guess new memories are waiting around the corner for me.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment