Sunday, November 17, 2013

Review of the Seahawks game


I knew coming into the game that it would be an uphill battle playing a team that simply just does not lose at home. The game on paper according to Las Vegas was a mismatch yet the teams still need to play to see what happens.

I liked the way the game started with Cordarrelle Patterson taking the opening kick out of the end zone thinking he had a chance to go the distance, but a nice shoe string tackle stopped my hope.

The first drive by the Vikings was exactly what we did not need as Ponder gets stripped. I did like how the Vikings defense responded holding Seattle to a field goal.

I really thought one of the many back breakers in the game came early in the second quarter with the score tied at 10. Seattle had a 3rd and 10 and what happens? Seahawks quarterback, Russell Wilson throws the ball to Percy Harvin who made his magic happen somehow hauling in a tipped ball to himself resulting in 17 yards and a first down. The drive ends with a touchdown run by Lynch to make it 17-10. If only we could have stopped the third and 10 maybe the outcome of the game may have been a little different.

The first half we saw Seattle sack Ponder 3 times and saw the tough Seattle defense control Adrian very well but yet we were only down by 4 with 48 seconds left in the half.

The biggest back breaker came as the Vikes kicked off to Percy Harvin and there he goes 50 plus yards setting up Seattle for at least field goal range potentially. It would have been nice being down only 7 at the half if Seattle would have settled for the field goal. The worst thing possible that could have happened did happen as Russell Wilson throws a beautiful ball over Vikings defender, Xavier Rhodes’ finger tips to Seahawks receiver, Doug Baldwin.

I don’t know if you caught the TV guys refer to Baldwin as Jerry Rice’s replacement for Seattle. I’m sorry guys but the correct name is Sidney Rice. I liked Rice when he played for Minnesota but in no way would I ever compare Sidney to Jerry.

There were a few other positives in the first half. The continued strong play of John Carlson and the speed shown by Jarius Wright putting a double move on one of the best defensive backs in the league, Richard Sherman and then catching the touchdown pass. I also like the play of defensive tackle, Fred Evans who at times plugged up the middle enough where even the commentators pointed out his play.

It seemed after the devastating touchdown late in the first half that the Vikings lost whatever hope they had.

I had thought Ponder looked very good against Washington last week but at least for this Sunday he was awful throwing to 2 wide open Seahawk defenders in the second half.

I was glad for his sake that Frazier pulled the plug and let Matt Cassel finish up. I know Seattle had their backups in but still to see Toby Gerhart run hard was so nice to see. He ends up getting 2 more yards than Adrian did.

I feel so bad because I knew we were a double digit underdog and to see the performance in the second half really hurt. It was one game I was glad when the clock struck 0.

It might sound strange to hear as a fan but I will say I was so impressed with the Seattle team and everything about them.

The running by Marshawn Lynch is so impressive. How many times did we see 3-5 Viking defenders trying to take him down?

The defensive line is quick and has great ability to plug the holes. The secondary is the real deal.

The play of Russell Wilson is mind boggling. The play where he broke through the defensive line and shuttles the ball to Lynch for a TD will be a Sports Center top 10 highlight.

I love the energy that Seahawk’s Coach, Pete Caroll continually shows even being up 28.

I love my Vikings and know the season is pretty much in trouble. I am just hoping the last 6 games the team represents itself well.

I look at the NFC and can’t find a team that is as talented as the Seattle Seahawks. I am calling right now for a Seattle-Denver Super Bowl.

The next game up for the Vikings is in Lambeau Field. The injury to Aaron Rodgers is taking a huge toll on the team and their defense is even down. Can the Vikings steal one next week?

I can’t wait for the rematch

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with your breakdown of the Vikings loss to Seattle but I knew it would be a blowout. I love my Vikings but I admit I enjoy watching the Seahawks. They are so talented and well coached. Russell Wilson is a coach's dream They are just all around a great team and I see them Super Bowl bound too..

    ReplyDelete