Monday, November 18, 2013

Questions to think about


The way 2012 went I never thought I would be writing something like I am about in 2013. The 2012 team was in the playoff hunt and now 2013 the team is down on the bottom of the league in wins. This article will hopefully make you think of what you want for this team the rest of the way.

I know if the season ended today the Jacksonville Jaguars would have the number one pick and our favorite team would be number two.

I also just heard a stat that was so hard to swallow. The stat goes like this with the 2013 Vikings on pace to be the worst defensive team in Vikings history as far as giving up points goes. The team is giving up an average of 32 points while the 1984 team had given up 30 a game. If the season ended the 2013 team would be the record holder.

I will love this team until the day I die but still it is hard to avoid the facts as they are laid out. I want nothing but the best and it hurts to hear the negativity but I do understand as the frustration just keeps piling up by fans.

The remainder of the schedule has 5 of 6 teams at 500 or above. The team has home games against Chicago (6-4), Philadelphia (6-5) and Detroit (6-4) The road games left are in Green Bay (5-5), Baltimore (4-6) and Cincinnati (7-4)

The 2 questions I pose are one, do we want to play spoiler? Cincinnati, Detroit tied with Chicago, and Philadelphia are all in first place in their respective divisions. Detroit holds the tie breaker as they beat Chicago earlier in the year.

The other spoiler part is the Vikings have 1 game left against our own division. Would it be great to beat all 3 of our division foes? I have even heard throughout the year that if the Vikings would win only 2 games all year that they would be the Green Bay games.  The team lost at home to Green Bay so one more chance at the big rivals.

The schedule is tough and even Baltimore is still in the division hunt with a 4-6 record so this game will not be a give me either.

The second question posed is it worth losing the rest of the games to get a great pick. It is a risk because nobody knows for sures. The Mel Kuipers of the world are good but even they don’t know the for sures.

How many Heisman trophy winners have been flops in the NFL? How many number one picks have turned out not so good. Yes, the percentages that these top 5 picks are NFL ready can be high but there is always that chance.

I sit here struggling because of the passion I have for the team. I know next season there are 17 free agents to resign which we know cannot happen with the salary cap.

The next season will be at TCF Bank Stadium with a new start. I will be there cheering for my boys in purple each Sunday.

I just can’t help wonder where did it go so wrong. I feel it is the same players ad a few draft choices. It seemed everything we needed to happen last season did happen. The magic in 2013 was just never found.

Life is more than football but for the die hards like myself it is sometimes hard to remember it is just a game. We are fans who cheer for the team and can’t make the team win or lose. It is up to each of us to see just how faithful we can be.

I want you to imagine being a Jaguar fan as they watch their team seem to always be near the bottom.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment