Monday, November 25, 2013

Review of the Packers game- One for the history books


I was at the 2010 NFC Championship game in New Orleans when I got to see New Orleans get the only drive that ended up with a field goal sending them into the Super Bowl. I know you all may have seen it on TV but to be there in the Superdome watching Saints fans jumping up and down after winning is something you don’t ever forget.

The reason I bring that awful memory up is because the NFL made the rule change the next season allowing both teams to have a shot. Yes, a touchdown ends the game on the first drive and the game is over but if a field goal happens the other team has a chance to tie or win it.

It is just the Vikings luck to end up with the first tie since the new rule has been put in place. This game just typifies this unbelievable bad luck season this team and fans have suffered through.

It just adds to the confusion of what is good for this team. I am not thrilled by a tie but on the other side it could inflict pain in the Packers hope for a playoff spot.

The game itself was a game of a lot of good and on the flip side both defenses at times were horrendous.

POSTIVIES IN THE GAME

The draft class of 2012 had a big effect on the game. I look at Audie Cole getting his first start at middle linebacker and the numbers h put up. The first play of the game for the Vikes defense Cole gets the sack. He ends up with 13 tackles total and 11 of those were solo.

Rhett Ellison who I thought had a great rookie year last year has been kind of quiet thus far until Sunday when he caught his first NFL touchdown. The catch was no so special as the effort he made to get into the end zone.

Blair Walsh had another big day as he goes 4-4 and two extra points. His kickoffs were once again outstanding. The field goal in overtime he made just shows once again pressure does not get to him.

Christian Ponder may go down as one of the most questioned quarterbacks ever to wear the Purple jersey. I tell you for this day I was very impressed with what he accomplished in leading the Vikes on long drives. Yes, he got sacked 6 times and yes he threw a god awful ball that should have been easily intercepted. I have to give him props for the effort. This could be a never ending argument but I say this day he deserves more credit than bashing. Ponder’s stats 21-30 and 233 yards but more importantly no interceptions.

The running game combined of Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart was something I wish we could have seen all year. Yes, the Packers tackling was horrendous but still these 2 men did not go down on the first hit. I worry when the season ends that we may not see Gerhart back next year as he is a free agent. I will deal with that if and when that happens. These guys combined for almost 240 yards.

The Vikings had 2 huge drives of 69 and 85 with both possessions starting inside their own 5. This was so impressive although ending up in only field goals is still nice to get points on the board.

Cordarrelle Patterson in my mind had his best day as a pro. The return game he provides never gets old. The game he had as a receiver was huge ending up with 8 catches on the afternoon. I believe we finally have a coaching staff that believes in number 84.

I must add another big game for defensive end, Brian Robison. I love the hustle this guy brings game in a game out. I am so glad the team extended his contract because he is worth every cent this team paid him.

The Vikings defense came in giving up 32 points a game and then on Sunday kept it under the 32 and gave up 26. No it is still not good but for at least Sunday I will take it.

The Packers did not punt once in the game at Mall of America Field the last time these 2 met and then Sunday the Packers were forced to punt 7 times. Yes, I know Rodgers was not in control of the Packers offense but still it was nice to see the punter get some work.

 

NEGATIVES IN THE GAME

The tackling of Packers running back, Eddie Lacy was atrocious the first half. I could not believe my eyes watching 3-5 Vikings trying to get this guy down.

The fourth quarter met down allowing the Packers to come back and send it into overtime. You know when the Packers have a 4th and 6 and Flynn throws the ball up in hopes and you see a Packer receiver catch it and save Flynn’s butt that the team was in trouble.

The 3rd down in overtime and the Vikings get a sack only to find out there is defensive holding and the Packers get to keep the drive alive. It is just a matter of time to feel the possible disappointment we have had most of the season.

Refereeing should never be used for an excuse but in one case it is hard not bring It up. I bring up the non-called face mask on the Adrian Peterson run that ended up seeing Adrian cough it up. I could not believe the call was missed as AP’s head was turned sideways. The other call I had a tough time was the pass interference call on Marcus Sherels. I guess my thought was seeing the Packer receiver pushing to get the advantage. It is a game of human judgment but still these men are paid to make the calls.

OVERALL SUMMARY

The result of the game now leaves the Vikings with the 4th pick in the 2014 draft if the season ends. I guess as a Vikings fan I love to see any damage the Vikings can do to the hopes of the Packers playoff. I will take the tie and keep the Cheeseheads quiet for a little longer.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment