Friday, November 8, 2013

Final thoughts on the tale of 2 halves


The 2nd win by the Vikings in 2013 is less than 24 hours old and  yes the win did occur but with that still comes things to think about as I have listened all day to people’s thoughts. I have also gone back and watched highlights and thus more thoughts came flowing.

I will start with Cordarrelle Patterson who may just be the 2nds most explosive player this club has. Thursday night’s game was a game we needed to see out of him. We know the kickoff return ability. The game Thursday was the most Patterson saw as a wide receiver and I felt he did a great job. The catch for a touchdown was a great job keeping his feet in bounds.

The play of Jarius Wright in the last 2 weeks has been a nice sight as he has 5 catches on the last 2 weeks. The sideline catch by Wright to keep the drive alive was a great sideline catch Thursday.

The fake punt tried by the Redskins would have worked to perfection if the punter had any decent of arm. I do not know if they would have scored on that play because Robert Blanton did a nice job of at least getting close to when the throw occurred. It is amazing to see this team almost fall for a second time this season to a fake. I am a big fan of special teams coordinator Mike Priefer and I believe he will get the troops head into the game for the future. The blunder in the Cleveland game was awful and for Thursday the Vikes may have got lucky. I do fear we will lose Priefer one day as he will become a head coach one day. I hope so for Mike but the selfish side of me hopes he stays with the purple.

The last minute of the game was so suspenseful. It was a carbon copy of 3 other games as the Redskins drove down for the potentially tying touchdown. The timeout called by the Vikings with 38 seconds left drew so many boos. I sat wondering why, even though a win did occur in the end. My hope was the timeout called was a result of the Bears game earlier in the season when no timeout was called to get the defensive players organized. The end result was a Cutler touchdown throw. I truly hope the coaching staff saw something they did not like Thursday. I sat in my seat in absolute shock in amongst the booing by the fans. I might be in the minority but I choose to have faith in Coach Frazier. I watch a ton of Vikings coverage and will say that after the Cowboys loss Coach Frazier looked so tired. I am so happy for the team for the win but even happier for Frazier.

The last play on 4th down watching Redskins quarterback RGIII drop back to pass and then throw a fade route in the corner had my heart pumping so hard I thought it would fall out of my body. Please let this team win one in the end I was saying to myself. I loved the play Marcus Sherels made to save the game.

It is the first win in the dome this regular season so it was a pleasure to see players smiling leaving the field. The one player that caught me off guard was Greg Jennings. I do not know if I have ever seen a player exit faster than Jennings. My wife and I watched as instead of going onto the field to talk to other players he ran up the tunnel. I am just hoping everything is ok. This team worked so hard for the win we just do not need any distractions to take away from this win.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment