Monday, August 2, 2021

Thoughts on camp early on

 

3-Jake Browning


The Minnesota Vikings continue their daily schedule including Saturday night family night where the team played in front of a close to full house. The atmosphere was awesome with so many purple clad fans in their jerseys and other purple shirts. The weather was beautiful and add the SKOL chant made for a great way for fans to be involved.

I know I found out that Kirk Cousins, Kellen Mond and Nate Stanley were all out due to Covid Protocol. I really think since people were so excited just to watch football the news was not the end of the world. If this was a game day obviously fans would have reacted to a much different degree. I really believe most fans knew before they sat as I talked too many and they acknowledged they knew.

The Vikings have had 4 quarterbacks in camp since Day 1 and with three out due to the protocol it left one and that was #3 Jake Browning, This is a huge opportunity for him to take advantage not only for the Vikings but if he would be cut later in camp lots of teams may have interest.

It’s early in camp but a few guys I want you to watch for when you watch preseason on TV are young guys starting with two wide receivers I love in camp and that is KJ Osborn and Ihmir Smith-Marsette. KJ is making catch after catch and Smith-Marsette is blazing fast and making catches. The unfortunate season ending ACL injury suffered by Olabisi Johnson has perhaps opened the door for Osborn or Ihmir or both.


                                                                        17-KJ Osborn




                                                            15-Ihmir Smith-Marsette

Chad Beebe is having a good camp with hustle and good route running and is a very good punt returner however with the late signing of Dede Westbrook could present a problem for Beebe but again this is why they have camp to see who is going to step up and pull the so called upset if you want to call it as far as making the roster.

There are two wide receivers who do not have to worry about making the team and that is Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson. These two receivers are making catch after catch and some even leaves the crowd in a collective wow like sound,

I believe maybe the player with the best camp offensively is that of Irv Smith Jr who day in and day out in the first five days is so consistent with his routes and beating defenders either by out jumping or just flat out beating on the route. I predict a huge offensive season for Irv.

We all know Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison as well as CJ Hamm but please watch for a rookie out of the University of Iowa State, Kene Nwangwu as all I can say is man is he ever fast. He is a burner so when he gets through the line of scrimmage good luck catching him.

I mentioned quarterback, Jake Browning being the only quarterback Saturday night and I thought he played extremely well considering the circumstances. It looks like he has a very good arm hitting guys down the field.

I will say on the flip side the defense couldn’t touch him so some of his throws may not have happened as he would have been sacked at least a couple times but they didn’t count it so I credit Jake for keep on looking down the field for an open receiver.

It was just last season the defense really took a hit injury wise and thus the defense really didn’t play up in my opinion to the normal standards Coach Zimmer usually produces.

It is 2021 Camp I leave every day excited seeing how big and fast the defensive side of the ball is.

I will say without a doubt the toughest position to make cuts will be the defensive line as I would keep everyone if I could. This D-Line is going to be a tough unit to penetrate and good luck opposing quarterbacks with the likes of a fired up Danielle Hunter coming fast and furious.

I love what I see out of the secondary adding so much veteran help back there. I am willing to guarantee we will see a defense like we have not seen in a very long time.

Monday was a very strange practice almost seeming boring to watch as the pace seemed very slow to me so I look forward to Tuesday when they put their pads and helmets on for the first time in 2021.

Football will officially be back and I can’t wait!!!!!!!

That’s all for now

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

SKOL

No comments:

Post a Comment