Saturday, July 31, 2021

Thoughts on the fist three days of Vikings Training Camp

 


Training Camp at last was here so on Wednesday July 28th made my first trip to TCO Performance Center in Eagan. The gates open at noon but practice is not until 2:15 and goes to 4:15.

There is a morning walk through but no fans are allowed but at least we get to watch one of the practices.

I have been the first 3 days to camp and what I am noticing fan wise is growth and what I mean by that is first day a guestimate of 500 fans plus or minus a few and Friday the stands were packed. I did see a sign that says capacity is 2902 which is a strange number but anyways I am sure the crowd was close to that number.

Practices I used to get so excited for but through the years I tend to watch players and where they line up first team, second team and so forth.

I listened to KFAN on the way up and Paul Allen had Randy Moss on and it was a tremendous interview discussing Justin Jefferson. Randy brought a lot of good points up with Jefferson with the fact rookie year was no mini camps and everything virtual so teams trying to get ready for Jefferson was a little tougher. Randy brought up the 2nd year to see how Jefferson does as teams now know way more about him obviously.

I have watched Jefferson three days and am so impressed with his routes and how he gets off the line of scrimmage so quickly. I believe Justin will face more double teams this season but feel Justin will be just fine with no proof as of right now other than watching him battle vs the likes of veterans Patrick Peterson on the right side and Bashaud Breeland on the left side. Breeland and Peterson have been around for a while and will give Justin great work.

I add even if Jefferson sees double and or Adam Thielen sees a double team I have seen and loved the play of the tight ends both Irv Smith Jr. and Tyler Conklin’s great hands. I think the loss of Kyle Rudolph does hurt a little but I believe Conklin and Smith Jr. are primed for huge seasons.

The offensive line has been tough to watch the last few years but I love how the Vikings addressed it in the 2021 Draft. Christian Darrisaw the new left tackle has not seen any action in camp as of yet as he is out there but watches while wearing a baseball cap. He is supposed to be the real deal so only time will tell. The Vikes also drafted Wyatt Davis out of Ohio State. What excites me about Davis is he comes from a winning program with Ohio State constantly a top 5-10 team in the nation so he knows what it takes to win.

The line I believe is set with Brian O’Neil at right tackle, Garrett Bradbury at center, Ezra Cleveland at left guard and Darrisaw when he is ready. The question spot is the right guard and what a great battle with Davis vs Oli Udoh. Oli is getting majority of snaps but now Friday Davis was seen at center so could be a very versatile player.

The receivers I mentioned with Jefferson and Thielen along with newcomer Dede Westbrook so watch for the battle between KJ Osborn and rookie out of Iowa, Ihmir Smith-Marsette. Ihmir is extremely impressive with his speed. The other player to watch is Chad Beebe.

Running backs everyone knows what Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison bring to the table but watch for rookie #26, Kene Nwangwu and his speed. He is extremely fun to watch.

The defensive side can only get better after last year’s disappointment with so many injuries. The team added in the draft and also free agency.

I love the defensive line talent starting with Danielle Hunter who is a beast every day with his blazing speed. I have also seen him lined up on the line standing up. I don’t know what NFL Tackle would not be concerned by this.

I love being at camp to see the size of these guys because you read Michael Piece 6’0” and 340 and say that’s big but you see him in person and yes that’s huge and pair him with 6’3” Dalvin Tomlinson at 319 you have 650 pounds of men.

Sheldon Richardson is back and wearing #9 in camp and I must say he is the biggest #9 I have ever seen.

The names to watch preseason are Janarius Robisonson and Patrick Jones III with both big and very explosive coming off the ball.

Linebackers it looks like Anthony Barr is back Barr like and you have Eric Kendricks so who is the 3rd? I recommend watching #59 Nick Vigil and #45 Troy Dye and see what you think?


k.


The secondary made major improvements in the offseason and what I am seeing is Patrick Peterson out right and Cam Dantzler and Bashaud Breeland out right which will be a great battle.

Safeties all world, Harrison Smith and Veteran Free Agent, Xavier Woods have the majority of snaps with the 1st team. Smith is an obvious but I am curious to see how Woods does with Anthony Harris gone. I am excited for the secondary to make major strides in improvements.

Quarterbacks with Kirk Cousins but I am keeping my eye on Kellen Mond and see how he does in camp. I can’t believe how big Mond is. The other two in camp Nate Stanley and Jake Browning.  All three seem to have big arms but who does the best in preseason games will be an interesting watch.

Kicking I honestly have not seen one kick which I think is strange but obviously it’s being done just not seen close up by fans. This is one area we have to have someone reliable and not give fans heart attacks when it comes to extra points or field goal attempts.

That’s all for now

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

SKOL

No comments:

Post a Comment