Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Vikings 2nd day in pads saw some good an some not so much

 


Wednesday August 4th as another beautiful weather day at TCO Performance Center Vikings Training Camp as we get ready for day two of pads.

I was on my way up to the camp as listened to the PA show who had Michael Pierce on to do a radio and was it ever a great interview as I drove, listened and thought as Michael was speaking.

I know the games have not started but I do know this team has a lot of scary potential and I mean that in a great        way.                                                                                                                                              12-Chad Beebe ready to make another great catch

I will refer to the defensive line as who will teams double team on the Vikings defensive line. If you double either inside tackle whether it be Pierce, Dalvin Tomlinson, Sheldon Richardson the other will be singled up. It teams try to attack our tackles it opens it up for Danielle Hunter or whoever plays right end. It’s a scary line and the fact the line destroys who does that help? Yes, Eric Kendricks, Anthony Barr or whoever they decide as 3rd linebacker which like Nick Vigil for now.

The fact if the defensive line can cause havoc like I believe they can it also help the secondary on coverage. I go to camp every day and watch and only envision the potential this defense has. I will guarantee it will be much better that last year.

The kicking game is concerning for now and I need to give it a chance but today Joseph missed 2 of 3 including a 55 yarder. I know I heard a fan yell as soon as he kicked it, “Cut him.” It’s a work in progress so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I love watching practice more and more the older I get seeing who is lining up where and what unit is he playing with.

I saw today for the first time since camp start #one pick, Christian Darrishaw had a helmet on and did a little work more work individual and not team but with time we will see him with the number one unit. 2021 Draft choice, Wyatt Davis was back working with the line again which is encouraging.

The line is definitely a work in progress but if these two can get healthy and stay healthy it’s going to be fun to see how the coaches use them and when they finally decide to use them more in practice.

We are still waiting for Kirk Cousins and Nate Stanley to return for covid protocal and that sounds like Thursday so we saw plenty of Jake Browning, Case Cookus and Danny Etling running the units.

What I am liking is the wide out making plays on balls that may have been off a little and force the guys to dive or stretch for the ball.

I am seeing KJ Osborn and Chad Beebe really becoming quite good at laying out for balls. I am a big fan of Beebe as every route and I mean everyone is run full tilt. He made a diving catch in the end zone that brought a great reaction from the fans.

It might sound redundant but one of my favorite players in camp is Tight End, Irv Smith Jr who honestly I don’t know if I have seen him drop any balls.

It’s crazy but seven days into camp there has not been one bad weather day until Thursday I see a potential of rain. It’s been a great camp and the fields are in perfect condition so I have to believe players are loving these conditions.

Thursday Cousins returns so I am real excited to see how fans react to #8 back on the field. Will they cheer or will they boo?  Stay tuned.

That’s all for now

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment