Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Vikings Training Camp is finally here

 

Wednesday July 28th is the day Viking fans as well as myself have been waiting for and that is Minnesota Vikings Training Camp in Eagan.

The new facility opened in 2018 after 52 years in Mankato and I do enjoy it but sincerely miss the Mankato days.

It was last season no one was allowed at camp or games making this year like everything else in life we lost that we loved to do just that more special.

Training camp is free as you go to the Vikings website and look for Training Camp. You are allowed up to four tickets each. Parking if you buy online is 10.00 or you can pay at the Eagan facility for 20.00.

I found out practice is not the old 2 a day at least not for fans but we will get to watch from 2:15-4:15. Yes I will be in heaven watching the battles to make the 52 man squad.

The gates do open at noon as you can hang out in the Viking Village outside the practice fields and stay until 5:00. It was announced there will be no player interaction with fans do to Covid protocol and I understand as I can’t wait to just watch practice. There will be Viking Alumni in the Vikings museum available for autographs if you wish. I just don’t know who the alumni that will be there.

What do I look forward to watching in camp? Of course everything but to break it down there are several areas of the team I am intrigued with.

Kirk Cousins love him or not needs to be protected as we have seen what a nice ball he throws when given time.

I am excited to see number one pick Chrisitian Darrisaw perform at left tackle taking on the likes of Danielle Hunter who when healthy is as elite as they come.

I also want to see Guard Wyatt Davis out of Ohio State see how he can compete. I know Bradbury will at center and Brian O’Neil at right tackle so the guard both left and right will be a huge battle all camp.

Running back has Mr Versatilty, Dalvin Cook who I love but also a big fan of Alexander Mattison and his tough running. I love the one two punch but like every year health will be a main topic because when healthy is as scary as they come running with the football. It is always fun to see the battle for the 3rd back.

Tight end will be interesting with Kyle Rudolph leaving via free agency. I was not shocked but will always remember him as the man I didn’t think the Vikings used enough with his size and more important his hand size. I do love the talent the Vikes still have with Irv Smith Jr. and Tyler Conklin as we saw what they both are capable of catching and running.

Wide Receiver I can’t wait to see Justin Jefferson in person running routes and catching balls form the quarterbacks. I know Adam Thielen and Jefferson are a potent one two punch so the intriguing will be the battle for the 3rd,4th, 5th and 6th if they keep that many.

The young man just signed this week from Jacksonville, Dede Westbrook everything I have read makes me believe he has the best shot at 3 but again this what camp is all about. Who will be the camp stud and surprises everyone but himself?

I am a big fan of Bisi Johnson and  Chad Beebe as they have shown their value so they both need monster camps to make the 53 man squad.

The Vikings had a great draft on paper in my opinion but no its time to show why they were each drafted. The Vikes in my opinion like to keep a majority of their picks on the roster but again time will tell.

It was last year the Vikings went with youth in the secondary which at times was painful to watch and yet a few moments they flashed. I know Jeff Gladney is dealing with legal issues so he won’t be in Eagan but Cam Dantzler will be for year two. Mike Zimmer this year saw the team bring in big name veterans for secondary help and d-line help.

The team brings in Patrick Peterson, Xavier Woods and Rashaud Breeland in the secondary so camp battles just got that much better with the rookies trying to bat out these vets. I can’t wait to see Thielen and Jefferson go up against these guys.

The defensive line made major improvements with the adding of last year Michael Pierce and this year bring back Sheldon Richardson and sign Dalvin Tomlinson. I have read Piece and Tomlinson cold be a new age Williams Wall although Pierce is dealing with an injury but I believe Richardson will be just as good.

Linebackers I can’t wait to see Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr who is coming back off a season he suffered an injury. These two have unlimited talent but the concern I have is letting Eric Wilson leave via free agency. This 3rd linebacker battle will be huge and I can’t wait to see who steps up??

The kicking battle I honestly have no opinions until I see them in camp. I just want a kicker who can put the ball through the uprights and not give me a heart attack when I see the snap, the hold and the kick and not have to pray as the ball is sailing through the air and I am saying to myself please, please, please go through. This might be a top story in camp. I just want a guy after we score a touchdown and he comes through and drills it automatically through not just once but all game and all season!!!

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

SKOL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment