Sunday, October 6, 2019

Vikes get first road win of 2019


The Minnesota Vikings came into Sunday’s game vs the New York Giants needing a win badly for many reasons but one I feel was big was the Stefon Diggs drama this week. A loss and things could really spiral quickly out control and its only week 5.


It was last week the Chicago Bears were down six starters and Quarterback, Mitch Trubiskey was knocked out so I thought getting a win would be a little easier but obviously I was incorrect.

The Giants come in down three Linebackers and running back sensation, Saquon Barkley was out of the game so with this info would the Vikes be able to take care of business.


The Vikes defense would face rookie Quarterback, Daniel Jones who has lead the Giants to two straight wins but has not faced a defense like the Vikes. The Giants also come in to the game being the only team in the NFL to score on their first offensive series each week with three touchdowns and a field goal. The game is set up for a good Vikes challenge so will they win or let me down. Kirk Cousins has been shredded by the media and fans so how will he perform?


I really enjoyed the first half of the game by the Vikes starting out with a very good drive including passes caught by Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. The offense really moved and what I like even more was seeing Kirk roll out not just once but many times during the game and having great success.


I was disappointed the team ended up with three points but at least its points and on the road. I loved the running game by Dalvin Cook all day and seeing Alexander Mattsion with success thanks to a bulldozing offensive line. 


The next possession after stopping the Giants we see the Vikes strike on a beautiful touchdown pass from Cousins to Thielen and the Vikes are up 10-0. Awesome it’s how we needed to start out.


I watch Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes in pass defense and I could not do better obviously but they seem to really struggle at times. I remember Giants quarterback having a wide open receiver by 7-10 yards and Jones over threw thank God but as I look at the replay the Giants player got Waynes turned way around and completely left Waynes in the dust. We got lucky as it should have been six or is it really the Vikes day?


The Vikes get another three later to go up 13-7 and after the Giants were stopped again the Vikes take the ball and match again. It was this time Dalvin Cook takes the hand off and makes a Cook like run and thinking he was headed for pay dirt when Giants player, Jabril Peppers punches from behind the ball out and Giants recover. Oh man we could have been up 20-7. 


The positive on this if any is the Giants are deep in their own territory so maybe the Vikes can hold them and get the ball back in good shape. What do I see? A great defensive play call and we see a blitz and better yet we see Anthony Barr in the end zone hitting and stopping the running back and it’s a Vikes safety.  This day seems to be going all purple as even with mistakes things are coming up roses. 


I had mentioned I am concerned about the play of Rhodes and Waynes at times and with that said I thought #21 Mike Hughes played a game of a lifetime as he had a huge end zone pas break up and two near interceptions.


There were so many good things but along came concerns as once again way to may penalties as Sunday 12 calls against the purple. I also thought a terrible decision to throw a challenge flag by Coach Zimmer on the pass interference call on Waynes. I thought I hope that lost challenge does not come back to haunt and thankfully I did not. The three sacks taken by Cousins is too many but the bright spot was Cousins did not fumble. There that is my list of bad so onto the good which there is many.


I start with the much maligned Kirk Cousins who was as they say in the business was balling. I saw incredible touch passes I still can’t believe he fit in. I am a big fan of the screen pass to Dalvin Cook and let Cook do the work. The 86 yards receiving in the first half was a career high in receiving yards and it was only halftime.


It’s incredible to know Dalvin Cook rushing and receiving yards equaled 218 yards and the Giants team for the game ended up with 211. Incredible one player out gains an entire team, Wow!!!

It was an emotional week with the Diggs drama and Thielen speaking out and Cousins publicly apologizing for not getting the balls to his guys saw Sunday Diggs and Thielen both used and add Obisi Johnson who had a big 4th quarter vs the Bears came up with big catches vs the Giants.


I really loved the game Anthony Barr played with his safety in the first half and the game ending diving interception. One of the secondary who I never have to worry about is all world, Harrison Smith who once again made plays when needed. This guy never stops amazing me with his hard but clean hits.


I thought the Vikes pass rush was awesome all day with four sacks and relentless harassment of Daniel Jones all day making him uncomfortable.


It was great to see Vikes kicking unit stand out and because of the efficient offense I believed we punted one time all game. I loved seeing Dan Bailey go four for four on Field goals including one hitting the upright and bouncing in. It’s each week I feel less and less nervous about the kicking which I haven’t been able to say in quite some time. I love Bailey’s kickoff which seem to be very consistent on touchbacks with the exception of one that was taken back way too far.


I love seeing Marcus Sherels back in purple and even though he has not had a big return as of yet I know there is a guy back there I can count on not making the mistakes of fumbles.


It was a great day in the Big Apple and Sunday showed why you can’t assume anything. The Chicago Bears beat the Vikes badly not score wise but out played all game by the Bears. The Vikes beat the Raiders rather easily and then we see Sunday in London, England the Raiders shock the world and the Bears. As they say in they say in the business that’s why we play the games.


Thanks for reading

Purplestick

SKOL!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment