Sunday, October 13, 2019

Vikes blowout Eagles at US Bank


The Vikes come into Sunday’s game needing to make a statement vs a potential playoff team, the Philadelphia Eagles. Yes, each came into the game (3-2) and a win by either team could be a potential tie breaker so obviously I would like a Vikes win please.


It seems the last three weeks the Vikes have faced teams with key players out and Sunday was no different as the Eagles had three new defensive backs in so a chance for Kirk Cousins and the offense to salivate. 


The beginning to Sunday’s game was extra special as the honorary captain was Casey O’Brien a four time cancer survivor, also a walk on at the U of M as a place holder as Sunday was Crucial Catch Sunday in which the NFL paid tribute to all cancer survivors and remembering those who we have lost.  The standing ovation for Casey was so emotional watching him wave to the US Bank Crowd.

The player into was also cool as it went as usual except for the fact with no fires allowed in stadiums the Vikes used the big screen to show an old video of the fire coming out of the dragon which I thought was very cool and the lineups went on as usual.


The Eagles had come in being tough against the run allowing just over 60 yards per game and the Vikes had averaged over 160 a game so which team would win the battle?


I was happy with the coin toss and the Eagles deferred to the 2nd half meaning the good guys would start on offense. The first play call of the game was a pass which I loved because can I assume the Eagles would think run?


The first drive in fact I loved the whole drive and even better Kirk Cousins to Adam Thielen in the corner of the end zone for six and after Dan Bailey kicks the extra point it’s 7-0 Vikes and even better it took half the first quarter.


The Vikes offensive game plan all game I  give a A plus as we saw reverses, double reverses and just plain creative play calling.


I sat in my seat in the 2nd level and watched Eagles # 32 Rasul Douglas get torched repeatedly. I saw Stefon Diggs beat Douglas off the line of scrimmage and as I got up from my seat watching a beautiful deep ball and Diggs running under it and gone for six. I saw same play later as again Diggs torches Douglas and again a beautiful deep ball and again Diggs is gone. I watched Douglas pointing back at fellow Eagles seemingly saying come on man I can’t cover #14 on my own he is too fast.

The Vikes are up 24-3 and US Bank is rocking like it has for the first time all year and  when the Eagles went on offense it was obnoxiously loud and I was loving it.


It felt as though game over although as a Vikes fan I better not feel to secure even though up 21 because the Eagles did in fact make a charge and made it 24-10 and driving for a another score when the drive stalled and the Eagles set up for a Field goal right before half to make it 24-13 except for one problem a direct snap to the kicker and I see him roll out my heart became beating way to fast and I see the pass  followed by a great pass deflection by Anthony Harris into the waiting arms of Everson Griffen. I saw the return on at first I felt so good it was going the other way for a TD but a trip by an Eagle player and it was halftime.


The fans gave the team a loud ovation as they were heading to the locker room but know we still have another half of football.


Third quarter we saw the Eagles get to within 24-20 and you could feel the nervousness as US Bank was getting quiet and I heard a loud E-A-G-L-E-S coming from a corner of the stadium.


The drive of the year came when the Vikes take the ball, drive it and end it on a beautiful 11 yard pass Cousins to Diggs. I thought how on earth did Diggs keep two feet in is beyond me and yes I did see the replay over and over sat shaking my head in disbelief in seeing this catch. It was Diggs first third touchdown of the day and it was the first time in his career he caught three and the first time since 2005 the Vikes had a receiver with three since Marcus Robinson.


I watched a Vikes team Sunday where I will use the word love in the things I saw including I feel it was by far and away the BEST performance by the Offensive line all year. I thought the pass protection was unreal but I also add how I loved Cousins rolling out. This Eagles front seven is very goof and very physical. The Eagles come in giving up just 60 yards a game and the Vikes were able to get over 100. It was good blocking and Vikes running backs running hard and powerful to get the yards needed.


I had said previous the Vikes three wins were vs not very good teams so Sunday’s win over a 3-2 Eagles team was impressive and really needed. You have to take care of business at home no matter who comes to town.


I mentioned I loved the Offensive line play but also loved the linebacker play by Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr. It seems this season Coach Zimmer has called blitzes at the right time and Sunday was no different as the blitz was dialed up and we saw Kendricks and Mackenzie have a meeting in Carson Went’z office and they took the big man down. The pass break up these two come up with can never be forgotten.  The play of these two week in week out is incredible.


The Defensive line did not get a ton of sacks but what they did all day Sunday was harass and make Wentz uncomfortable all day and I appreciate their efforts.


Danielle Hunter did get one of the sacks Sunday giving him 46 in his career and thus makes him to get the most sacks in NFL history before the age of 25.


One of my favorite moments of Sunday after a Vikes interception by Alexander I see a team sprint to the end zone to do a celebration pose and I see Kendricks come to the left and do a handstand. Kudos Vikes for this great pose!!!


Sunday was a huge win as I said but there a still 10 games left so for Sunday I will enjoy a beat down of the Eagles at US Bank.


I also offer up I was concerned about the behavior of the guest Eagles fans and we did have some behind us a few rows but all in all what I saw and heard was nothing bad.


That’s all for now

Thank you for reading

Purplestick




No comments:

Post a Comment