Friday, October 25, 2019

Kirk Cousins gets first ever Thursday night win as Vikes beat the Redskins


I was so excited to head to US Bank Thursday night and get there early so we could take in a little NFL Network pregame out on the Plaza on one problem. I was so excited at 4:15 to hit the road and then the ugliness of 35 heading north and we sat so long that between the construction and fans in Minneapolis we got to our seats twelve minutes before kickoff.


I tell you was this a sign to come for the night? Steve Jordan was the leader of the Skol chant and because he was trying to make his way to the platform on the 2nd level giving so many high fives the Skol chant started a split second before he did. 


The stadium was absolutely beautiful which I am sure you saw but to be in it there are no words to describe unless of course you don’t care for the color purple.


Tommy Kramer was honorary captain which for me meant so much as I was a huge Kramer fan and even met him in Owatonna at a Johnny Holmes concert at the bowling alley.


I mentioned the struggle to get there was one thing and was it a sign as we shall see. It was truly great to see Case Keenum out for the coin toss but as a Redskin and we see the Vikes get the ball first.


I remember siting and just watching the field and I see Stefon Diggs wide open by 10-15 yards and I see Kirk Cousins deliver the ball and I jumped out of my seat as I thought for sure Diggs was gone. Yes credit the Redskins for their hustle but then I saw Diggs fumble and recovered by the Redskins. Is anything going to go right tonight?


I really thought that fumble take the crowd out of the game and my fear is coming true. I absolutely hate point spreads especially with Viking games. It was last season the Vikes were favored by 17 over Buffalo and we lose. The Vikes come in 16.5 point favorites over the Redskins and if I know it, the Vike know it don’t you think the Redskins read the same social media or paper we do?


The Redskins’ Adrian Peterson ran hard all night and was so impressive but a sack of Keenum and fumble recovery by the Vikes stopped the momentum but the Vikes offense I thought would light up this so called bad Redskins team was forced to settle for a field goal.


I really thought Case Keenum looked sharp most of the first half and that had concerned me coming into the game as he would look to light up our secondary. The deep ball he threw to the end zone and pass interference was called on Xavier Rhodes giving the Redskins the ball at the two had my heart beating way to fast. The Vikes have only allowed one rushing touchdown all season and true to form the defense came up huge forcing a field goal.


The Vikes were on their own side of the ball and went for it on 4th down but I absolutely had the play call with Cousins a quarterback keeper and yep it failed giving the Redskins the ball in potential scoring territory. The Vikes line had absolutely no push and credit the Redskins defense they held strong.


I really thought the Vikes offensive line struggled most of the night as it seemed the Redskins front seven controlled the line of scrimmage. It was said in post-game the short week could have had an effect on their legs as there were way way to many penalties on the Vikes for holding.

It seemed every time either Dalvin Cook or Alexander Mattison would break a big run we would see a yellow hanky laying in the area of holding and unfortunately it was a hold and the big play was called back.


It’s a win and 4th in a row and I saw a lot I liked and some obviously I didn’t like. I was a big fan of the screen pass to Cook, Mattison and even Kyle Rudolph. I had to laugh because on the big screen they have a showing of fastest players of the game and one had Kyle Rudpolph at 17.1 mph. What who are they kidding, Rudolph 17 mph. That was my laugh for the night. It seems he catches passes and efficiently gets the ball up the field but I would still like to see the 6’8” man muscle more and lean forward not out of bounds.


There was a shot of Cousins 19 mph on one play and I am thinking where does this timer come from? Diggs, Theilen, Cook yes, Rudolph and Cousins no way.


The night was supposed to be a blow out and it didn’t happen and again a win but I will add it’s the first booing of the offense a couple times and it was easily heard.


Xavier Rhodes continues to be a talking point and again Thursday night Keenum went after Rhodes in my opinion a lot and I wonder if Keenum had not left the game with a concussion just what the game would have been like.


I thought the touchdown drive by the Vikes was awesome but strange if that makes sense as the team had three timeouts and wasted so much time leading up to the TD. Was that their plan to give fans anxiousness because it worked for me? The play call on 3rd and goal made my stomach come up to my throat as I saw Cook on the handoff and I thought he was stopped but credit Cook for the unbelievable effort to get in.


Boy I thought Adrian Peterson looked very good all night with the jump cut and 14 yards that really impressed me. It’s funny because I read all week AP would play but would play with sprained ankles and I definitely don’t think he ran like someone who had ankle problems.

I continue to be impressed with Dan Bailey’s Field goal making going four for four Thursday night including a 50 yarder which was the biggest because a miss and would have given the Redskins good field position.


One thing god about being home watching is when it comes to plays in question. Dan Bailey kicks a field goal and gets leveled and yet no call and I see Coach Zimmer and staff livid and I wonder why no call? Bailey went down hard and no way he could have faked that.


The Halftime was awesome seeing Steve Jordan be inducted to the Ring of Honor. It was even nice to see the New Orleans Saints all Jordan’s son, Cam to be in attendance. My wife and I always get a kick out of the Wilf’s because they are great owners and I appreciate that they are not public speakers as they take their paper out of their suit coat and lay it on the podium and both in monotone voices read what they have written. Oh well I love Jordan being part of Vikes history.

I also add with Adrian Peterson in town towards the end of the game the amount of fans standing and cheering and I did not hear any booing it was an incredible scene as AP is shown on the big scoreboard and his waving to the fans. What a scene


It’s a win and much to be talked about but it makes for a nice drive home after a game.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment