Sunday, April 21, 2019

Vikes draft parties through the years


I have gone to Minnesota Vkings draft parties for as long as I can remember and each and every year has left a memory with a few occasions bad memories.

I can remember when the Draft party was held at the Mall of America which was definitely big enough but too many non-draft party goers with so many shoppers throughout which I get because it is a mal but for football fans you really could not get a comfortable feeling. I remember autograph lines both in the Rotunda and also on the 4th floor in a couple of bars. It was a crazy venue but also again as I mentioned a memory.

I remember it shifting from the Mall of America to Winter Park which I truly loved because for one I had never been in it. It was awesome to see and players were mingling amongst the crowd as well as players in areas for autographs. I remember waiting outside of Winter Park in the shade and boy was it cold but I did learn to bring a coat the next year. I was on heaven knowing I am standing in the place where players practiced. I met Ziggy Wilf for the first time as well.

I mentioned memories and one I will never forget as Vikings fans started chanting Suggs,Suggs, Suggs and then the unthinkable we see on the big screen TV the Vikes taking to long to turn their card in and we pick Kevin Williams and the next pick Terrell Suggs going to the Baltimore Ravens, I remember fans were so upset by this pick of Kevin Williams but in the end the winner was Kevin Williams who had a terrific career as a Viking and Suggs had a great career in Baltimore and still playing now for the Arizona Cardinals.

Who can forget the Draft party in 2011  at Winter Park where fans were hungry to draft a quarterback and the names people talked about leading up where Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker for the Vikings. The draft disappointed fans when Locker went to Tennessee at pick 8 and Gabbert was taken by Jacksonville with pick 10. I remember the shock of fans on who does the team take now? The TV announced the Vikes pick is in at # 12. I remember so clearly ESPN and Commissioner Goodell saying with the 12th pick the Minnesota Vikings pick, Christian Ponder, quarterback out of Florida State. I can still here the booing like I had never heard.

I remember the draft of 2013 at the Metrodome with the Vikes taking 3 picks in the first round with Xavier Rhodes, Sharrif Floyd and Cordarrelle Patterson. What I remember was it was late at night and people were packing up when KFAN’s Paul Allen comes on the mic and says folks the Minnesota Vikings have made a trade with the New England Patriots to move into the first round to take Cordarrelle Patterson. There as just a few fans left so those few were so happy to get another pick in the first round.

The Draft party moved to the Minneapolis Convention Center which I had never been in and to say big was an understatement. The amount of purple in this large convention room was awesome. The lighting was in purple so it was a little dark but not too dark to see where you were going. This was the night where the Johnny Manziel hype was huge. Fans listened to each pick and no Manziel so when it came time to hear the Vikes pick the Manziel chants were going strong until the pick was made and with it was Anthony Barr, linebacker out of UCLA. The crowd was irritated and so many people I could hear, who was Anthony Barr? I was included as I had never heard of him either. I will admit I wanted Manziel but can admit I have never been so glad to be wrong as Barr has been great so far and Manziel has been a bust so far.

The draft party has moved to US Bank and it is by far my favorite venue being on the field the Vikes play on with a huge TV with plenty of folding chairs to pick if you so desire to watch the draft. There is so much to do for families including a self-guided tour of the locker room, as well as autograph opportunities with players, and of course plenty of food. The gates open at 6:00 and it goes to 10:00. It’s a dream night to be a Viking fan and be in the coolest stadium in the NFL

No comments:

Post a Comment