Friday, April 12, 2019

Thoughts on the 2019 Minnnesota Vikings Draft


The time is soon approaching to Thursday April 25th for the NFL draft and this guy can’t wait. My wife and I will be making the trek to US Bank for the Vikings draft party which I attend every year and our wedding anniversary is the 28th so the draft party is usually part of our extended anniversary celebration.

The upcoming season will be my 20th year of season tickets and I look at the schedule and use the word brutal. It is full of playoff teams and just plain great teams.

It was 2 years ago the magical season as the Vikes headed to the NFC Championship game in Philadelphia only to get crushed so then last year I was fired up for another run but as it turned out far from a repeat trip to the NFC Title game.

The new season once again is coming quickly and my favorite weekend of watching draft coverage will soon. Yes. I attend the first night but then spend countless hours on the couch with my remote in hand watching the draft and flip to other channels during commercials to catch any info I can. I shake my head with the knowledge these guys display since as Mel Kuiper and Todd McShay to name a couple. Yes I know there are people behind the scene that gather info on players from DIII schools. I can’t hear enough or watch enough football especially this weekend. I do spend a lot of time in February watching the combine so when the draft time comes I am familiar with a few names.

I also state by the time draft day comes I am so glad because it ends the endless Mock drafts which in my opinion are worthless. Who really knows who will take who? I look at last year when the Cleveland Browns stunned the sports world by drafting Baker Mayfield which I happened to love.

The draft is a crap shoot but sometimes can be a huge win as how many high picks have we seen be a complete bust? I look at the Vikes and it’s hard to admit but the Christian Ponder and Troy Williamson were major disappointments to name a couple.

The draft not knowing what young man will be Hall of Fame caliber, or 53 man roster worthy took a huge hit when Tom Brady drafted at pick 199 by New England now will be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

I now look at the offseason by the Vikes and see some huge losses with the likes of Latavius Murray, Marcus Sherels and Sheldon Richardson all leave via free agency so more holes to fill. I add my heart was ripped when Sherels left as he was one of my favorite players and story making the NFL the hard way. I have nothing but respect for Marcus and wish him the best even if it is with New Orleans.

As for my thought on the draft and what I would love to do with the first round pick in the upcoming draft and my heart whole heartedly says Offensive Linemen. I spent the last season contemplating going to the chiropractor as watching repeatedly seeing Kirk Cousins taking a beating and I couldn’t stop shaking my head in disbelief. I always try and be positive but on this it’s hard because it was brutal watching the beat down Cousins took.

I must also add the line play was awful but a lot of times I must add it just didn’t seem Cousins had the awareness that he was about to get hit. My wife and I yelled and yelled to Kirk but it just did not help. I give Cousins some credit in his toughness but if we are going to have this man run the offense and his salary to boot we need to protect him a lot better. You look at a Tom Brady and his line play giving him the time.

I know Coach Zimmer publicly made it known he wants to run the ball way more is concerning how he professed in public his idea of a game plan because if I know and heard him say won’t the other 31 teams know as well?

I am a big fan of Coach but that did bother me the way it came out. I agree the run game should be important but to have a run game there must be consistent blocking and holes opened. The ground game what we had was by virtual of running backs making their own yards.

I have read and heard speculation that Riley Reiff could switch to guard and I have also heard consideration of moving Pat Elflein from center to guard as well. I guess no matter what when it comes to the draft any kind of lineman drafted would be much appreciated.

I know the saying take the best player available I don’t believe the Vikes can do unless that best player is an Offensive lineman.

The past drafts the Vikes have found some mid to later round players who have made a great impact such as Danielle Hunter for a prime example of later

The draft is to get needs as well as depth to make the Minnesota Vikes a threat to make it back to the NFC Title and of course hopefully the big game.

One more final point on why I want Offensive Line I look at the schedule and see home games: Washington, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Denver, Oakland, Chicago, Green Bay and Detroit. The road goes like this: New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City, Los Angeles Chargers, Bears, Packers and Lions.

I look at this and think Khalil Mack twice this season with the Bears and Joey Bosa (Chargers) DeMacus Lawrence (Cowboys) as 3 of the best pass rushers in the league.

That’s all for now

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

Let’s get a keeper in the 2019 NFL Draft






No comments:

Post a Comment