Sunday, April 28, 2019

A Vikes draft that did not disappoint


Draft night Thursday night finally came and as I headed to US Bank tried to keep telling myself do not allow yourself to be disappointed if an Offensive lineman was not taken with the 18th pick.

One thing I love about draft parties is listening to Paul Allen, Pete Bercich, Ben Leber and Paul Charchian discuss the draft and occasionally bring a Vikings player up on stage and interview. There is a huge TV screen behind them so I can watch the draft as well as listen to the guys on stage.

Arizona was on the clock to start as you know and when the pick of Kylar Murray was announced it brought a huge cheer from the fans in attendance. I know that pick was historical as that makes two years in a row where a Oklahoma quarterback was taken with the first pick and both men were Heisman Trophy winners. I along with other fans were wondering about last year’s Cardinal’s pick at # 8, Josh Rosen? What a story line.

The next picks were going and as each one passed I kept thinking the Vikes have a shot at a decent to great Offensive Lineman. The amount of defensive players going was great to see with the exception of the surprise of the first round with Daniel Jones going 6 to New York Giants. I had seen mock drafts that sighted this but when it really happened I could not help but shake my head in disbelief.

I did enjoy the Green Bay pick at # 12, Rashan Gary out of Michigan because as the screen showed Gary crying in happiness the Vikings Pete Bercich said he would cry also if he was picked by the Packers. It is always good to have some humor in this event.

The next pick at # 13 by Miami Dolphins, Christian Wilkins came out on the stage in Nashville jumping through the air and the face of fear and unknown by Commissioner Goodell was priceless.

The players continued to be pick and I was feeling better and better about getting a need and then I see Atlanta take Chris Lindstrom, guard and I thought oh no this is a guy that would fit the need.

The sage continuers and finally at # 18 the crowd arises all as one to hear Commissioner Goodell announce the pick, and yes it was Garrett Bradbuy center from North Carolina State and with that announcement the crowd as loud as I have heard in years. My heart was beating so fast with excitement saying to myself Thank you Vikings for not letting me down. I have been to 15 or so Draft parties so believe me I have heard my share of unhappiness by way of booing along with a few unmentionable words.

US Bank was rocking with so many happy fans as I looked around. My wife and I did take a your of the locker room and then headed back to Owatonna on a high. It’s a great high yet bad when you get home and have to try and sleep as I needed to be to work the next morning, It is so worth the tiredness!!!!

Friday and Saturday I watched well over 12 hours of the draft which puts me in heaven. The Vikes came into the draft with 8 picks but after Friday they made trades and Saturday we would have 9 picks making it for a total of 12 which is the most since 1991 when there were 12 rounds.

The two picks Friday with 2nd round, Irv Smith Jr.  Tight End out of Alabama I absolutely loved as he was a name I was very familiar with and know he comes from a winning program so he knows what it takes. I will admit the first two picks I knew of but after that all other names drafted I googled and read twitter to get info on these players,

The last pick of the night Running back out of Boise State, Alexander Mattison I believe was a need for competition especially with the loss of Latavius Murray to the New Orleans Saints by way of Free Agency.

Saturday stared out with the Vikings taking a guard out of Oklahoma, Dru Samia who all he is done is block for the past two Heisman Trophy winners. The drafting of a guard makes the first four picks all on the offensive side of the ball. The last time the Vikes started the draft with offensive picks was 1991. It has been thought that in the War room Coach Zimmer gets his defensive person but in this case it was different and I believe it stems from last year with Coach publicly saying he wants to run the ball more,

Saturday was a busy day and I saw the Vikes do a great job of drafting need in hopes of depth as they drafted 9 total players including three picks in the 6th and three players in the 7th round including the last of the 7th a long snapper out of Air Force Academy.

The NFL draft saw a record breaking 40 trades and also saw two kickers taken from the same school, University of Utah. The last time this happened was 1985 when two kickers from the same school were drafted,

I could not be happier to see all these guys added and believe me I will be doing a lot of reading and  watching videos to see why the Vikes thought so much of these players to draft them.

The three day draft I saw so many things I enjoyed as far as TV watching on NFL Network especially the last two days seeing picks made from different parts of the country and even in Mexico. It was so awesome to see kids involved and maybe the best was the Baltimore Ravens young man who was blind and became the first person ever to announce the pick by way of a brail card.

I loved former Colts punter, Pat McAfee and his humor as he announced the 93rd pick as well as other former players taking their turns announcing for their respective teams.

I loved seeing Carl Eller, Steve Jordan and even Sid Hartman announcing the Viking picks. I had no idea what Nashville would be like but now that it’s over I pointlessly say I wish I would have gone and been part of the 200,000 fans.

Overall I loved the Vikes draft and can’t wait to see the plan for each player starting with minicamp and onto Vikings Training Camp in Eagan.

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment