Sunday, September 29, 2013

Review of wild Vikes-Steelers game in London


Pittsburgh and Minnesota both come in 0-3 records and percentages tell us it is less than 2 percent of these teams that are 0-3 make the playoffs. Yes, a must win is in order for the Vikings. A new quarterback, backups in the secondary, an offensive line that has struggled are just some of the issues that face the Vikings.  Can the team rebound and get back to winning football?

I was so impressed with the first play call of the game with a pass called. Is this a sign the caching staff has confidence in Cassel? A great throw to Jerome Simpson. Way to go Vikes!!

A play early in the first quarter was a sign of good things to come. The play I refer to is a bomb intended for Patterson that should have been picked off by the Steelers, Ike Taylor. The alert play by Patterson to makes a great defensive play kept the Vikes drive alive. The drive did end in a 54 yard field goal by Blair Walsh, who is now the NFL record holder with 12-12 in 50 yard attempts.

I was so impressed with the defensive line pressure in the first half. The amount of times the team got to Roethlisberger was awesome making him rush. Jared Allen had never had a sack of a Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback in his career until today. He more than made up for that by getting 3.

I would like to see the necks of the Vikings defensive lineman after the game because I am sure they all have markings on their necks as it seemed to be the Steelers tackles were constantly holding and having their arms up in the Viking neck areas. I thought it was obvious but evidently not because flags were not being thrown.

Adrian came through in a big way and I was sure impressed as the game went on how many tackles he broke including the 60 yard run. The Steelers in the past have been such a physical team and was hard to run on.  It was like Adrian wanted to put the team on his back and carry them to victory. He ends up with 2 TD’s and over 100 yards in this must win game. I will also add a shout out to Jerome Felton for his blocking as well.

The play of Matt Cassel was so pleasing. I know a couple of passes made me hold my breath in hopes of them not getting intercepted. I loved his arm strength and accuracy. I would like to see if he does continue to start and I hope he does that if he runs with the ball have better ball security.

Cassel threw for 200 yards, 2 touchdowns and NO INTERCEPTIONS in Sunday’s game. I read after the game players were speaking of Cassel’s command of the huddle. I know I should be cautious with it be only one game but this was as big of win as this team has needed in a long time.

The play of Jerome Simpson was awesome as well. The man goes over 100 yards for the first time since week 1. He also provided with a huge fumble recovery that kept the drive alive.

Greg Jennings play was outstanding. I know he did not have 10 catches but I refer to the 2 touchdowns he did have. I must admit on his long touchdown run after the catch I did not know he was that fast. He made it look so easy burning 5 Steelers defenders I counted. The second touchdown was just impressive as how he positioned his body in front of the defender to catch the touchdown.

The play of Chad Greenway was much needed. It was his 100th game in the NFL Sunday. It was the first time in his career he had an interception and a sack in one game.

I know fans will be unhappy with the secondary as I was. It is frustrating to watch Roethlisberger pick us apart. In a positive spin the playing time that Sendejo and Sherels got could be beneficial.

The game was full of much fun to talk about but a real concern was the play of Josh Robinson and how the Steelers ate him alive. I will be real interested to see if the team makes any moves in the bye week to try and shore up this area.

The way the game ended I was holding my breath that we did not have a 3rd week in a row collapse. The Steelers did a nice job in adjusting to their pass protection in the second half but when the Vikes needed it they got it. A sack of Roethlisberger by Everson Griffen and a fumble recovery by Kevin Wiliams with 8 seconds left sealed the deal.

There might be things to complain about but with this needed win I sit here with a smile on my face.  Yes, finally, a win. This is now the 5th win a row the week before the bye. The streak started in 2009 and now in 2013 it continues.

HOMEGAME TOUCHES

I would like to add a season ticket holder and not being at the home game I thought the Vikings organization did a great job of giving it a home game feeling.

The Gjallarhorn was brought and used to call the players to the field. I could hear in the back ground on the TV as well some of the songs the team plays at home.

THE BYE WEEK PREDICTION

A win is a win but now we will see the following:

-The call for Cassel to be the starter will be the talk in Minnesota.

- The defensive lapses will be the next issue

- Will the team bring in more secondary help?

WAY TO GO VIKINGS!!!!

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment