Sunday, September 15, 2013

Review of disappointing loss to the Bears


Week 2 and same results as first touch by a Vikings player and they take it to the house for a touchdown. It is such an emotional rush watching and hoping the Vikes can take off from this. Can the game end after a first score? The Vikes would be 2-0 and all things would be good in the state and around the country.

Cordarrelle Patterson 105 yards and I am feeling good but then the kickoff to Devin Hester and I have lost the good feeling rather quickly. Hester’s big day could have been even bigger but thanks to the hustle of Josh Robinson Hester was kept from attacking more NFL records. Yes, the Bears ended up getting touchdowns anyways but it took a little longer. I compliment Robinson and not quitting on the play.

I loved the Vikes break they caught with 4th and 3 as Locke gets the punt off quickly catching the Bears with too many men on the field.

The Vikes I felt were getting beat badly stats wise early in the game yet only down 7 until Jared Allen comes through and strips Jay Cutler. The man on the spot Brian Robison makes a great pick up and goes 61 yards for the tying touchdown. Robison’s first td of his career and we are tied. It is feeling like the Lions game with this time the Bears making mistakes allowing the Vikes to stay in the game.

The next pattern I thought was strange was watching the Bears move the ball by way of the run and getting it all the way down deep. A strange play call after all the success of running is seeing Cutler throwing a low ball that gets tipped by Everson Griffen and Kevin Williams is Johnny on the spot. I am thinking oh boy another break for the Vikes. It is going to be our day.

Vikings have momentum and then the worst thing possible watching Ponder stare down Simpson and Bears defensive back, Jennings steps in front and there he goes for 6. What heartbreak after making the goal line stand.

The Vikes finally make a great drive except for one problem we do not get to see the play as FOX station has technical difficulties. I could not believe we get sent to halftime to see highlights around the league when our favorite team gets into the end zone. Ponder to Rudolph for 6. Where has that been?

I love the FOX pregame with Howie, Terry, Jimmy but the one guy I can’t stand and do not think his skits are funny at all is Rob Riggle. We have a terrible comedian and now technical difficulties where not only don’t we see the score we have no sound. What else can go wrong?

The ending drive by the Bears right before the half as the Cutler goes 0 for 3 in passing and the Bears settle for the field goal. Is this momentum for the Vikes going into half holding the Bears to 3?

Second half I loved the Blair Walsh kickoff towards the sidelines pinning Hester towards the corner.

The Vikes defense came out fired up early. Bears make Vikes look foolish on an end around in the first half. Veteran Jared Allen makes a great stop on the end around this time sending the Bears receiver for a loss.  Third down Brian Robison makes a great hit on Cutler causing an incomplete pass forcing the Bears to punt. I felt the emotional swing towards the men in Purple.

It is now Vikes ball and for the second week in a row a bad handoff to Peterson and once again a fumble. Can we keep the emotion even after a turnover?

The defense comes out again and has the defensive series of the year thus far I thought.

The Vikes are moving the ball nice in the 2nd half and come up with 3rd and 1. A handoff to Peterson and it is a first down. Yes, a handoff to the best running back in the NFL. I love the play call.

The series looked good all the way but only end up with a field goal out of it. I guess at least it is points and on the road I will take that.

The beginning of the 4th quarter, another takeaway as this time Harrison Smith makes a great interception denying the Bears points. Is this the momentum we can finally take and finish out the 4th quarter?

Ponder has been put under the gun as the media and fans alike have taken turns taking shots at him. I thought Ponder looked very good in the second half. The runs he made to keep the drives going was so impressive. He showed me some toughness.

The Vikes going for 4th and 1 I loved the call handing the ball once again to Peterson and once again he delivers.

The Vikes up 27-24 and the Bears are getting close to midfield. A handoff to Bears running back, Matt Forte who makes a good run but then the most unbelievable hustle shown by Vikings defensive tackle, Guion who chases down Forte and steals the ball literally. This has got to seal the victory I thought.

The Vikes drive down but then a mistake was made I believe as the Vikes seemed to settle for a field goal. The Vikes up 30-24 and now a Bears touchdown can beat them. I was hoping for some play calling with throws to the end zone.

A field goal is nice and is points on the board but my stomach did not feel good about the potential of the Bears stealing the game.

Cutler drops back with 10 seconds left and finds tight end, Bennett for the dagger in my heart. My worst fears became real as I sat in my chair in disbelief.

The defensive line played their butts off today. My defensive player of the game is Brian Robison but I need to put a plug in for safety, Harrison Smith. I love his game.

My offensive player of the game goes to Greg Jennings who made catches when it mattered.

I will add on special teams I liked the holding job Locke did for Walsh who had a good fantasy day. I also thought Locke looked better in punting the ball today.

A loss is tough to take especially against a division opponent and to lose by 1 makes it tough. The next game home vs Cleveland the Vikes have no other choice but now it is a must win.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment