Friday, September 27, 2013

Can Cassel make the difference?



I intended for my next blog to be the review of the Vikes win over Pittsburgh but with the news early Friday morning I wanted to give my input.

It was January 5th, 2013 and I was on my way to Lambeau Field to see the Vikes-Packers playoff game. I took a shuttle from a bar in Appleton to Lambeau all fired up. I had no idea that Ponder was not starting until I got in the stadium when Packer fans were razzing us about the news. I thought it was a cruel joke they were playing on me. Then reality hit and I saw Joe Webb warming up.

This time it is a little over 2 days until games time and now we know there is no secret that would be revealed last minute.

All the anti-Ponder are in their glory while others I talked to say we have no choice. I sat in the stadium last week and heard booing like I have not heard since the chants of Fire Childress rang throughout the stadium.

I was excited when the team signed Cassel in the offseason just in case. There are so many questions and no one can answer them until the Sunday game is played.

There are so many holes in this ship and now add some injuries to the secondary. My hope is this; Cassel has a great first drive and gets the offense some confidence. My hope is a ripple effect that starts the self-esteem process. The offensive line has struggled so bad with pass protection and the run game is good but a lot of the yards gained I feel are from Peterson’s 2nd and 3rd efforts after getting hit.

I am real anxious to see this team play on neutral ground. I can’t help but feel this could be an advantage Cassel. If for some bad reason the Vikes come out flat I wonder how Vikings fans would react. The quarterback the fans want and he fails, then what?

I am sitting here feeling confident this announcement this early will play for the positive side for the team. I am not in London but will assume that Cassel will get the majority of work with the first team offense.

This team I feel with or without Ponder is so talented and is like a bottle of pop that is shook up and ready to explode. Is Cassel the man to lead the explosion? Is he the controller of the lid that is sealed?

I will add I am not surprised with the decision. My gut told me when the rib injury came out that Matt Cassel time is here and now.

I don’t feel we have anything to lose. The record 0-3 does not end a season but we do need to win now. The Vikes absolutely need the 7 home games as wins.

I found an article in regards to Josh Freeman wanting out of Tampa Bay. Do the Vikes have interest? If so, is the Ponder era over? There is no answer but just want you to think what you think the team should do.

1-If Cassel plays light out Sunday will he be the quarterback the rest of the way?

2-If Cassel struggles do the Vikes let Ponder finish out the year assuming he is healthy?

3-If Cassel succeeds Sunday do the Vikes look at trading for Josh Freeman and put a closure on Ponder?

There are so many questions in such an early time of the season. I just want wins.

The team is so close with 2 of the 3 losses happening in the last minute. The team is scoring 27 points a game which makes this even tougher to deal with. If the team was scoring 6-10 points a game that would be one thing but 27 points should be good enough for the W.

The team comes off a 10-6 record and a playoff game, then the signing of Greg Jennings and a great draft. I can’t believe I am sitting here typing about what has gone spiraling down quickly.
 

One positive coming into Sunday even before this announcement was made was the fact the Jerome Felton will be back on the field after serving his 3 game suspension. Adrian had his monster year with Felton aiding the way. Will we see a difference with Peterson with Felton leading the way? My hope is Felton comes out and plays inspired ball and takes out his frustration on Steelers defenders.

Friday the team announced that Chris Cook (groin) and Jamarca Sanford (hamstring) are out of the game.

Who will step up? Will Mistral Raymond play big in Sanford absence? Will Marcus Sherels come up big again in the secondary? Can AJ Jefferson rebound after horrific first half vs the Browns?

Today is Friday and the game is not until Sunday but after writing this I am ready for the game like it is in the next hour.

I can’t think of a time with more questions about the team. They know it, the fans know it. Which Vikes team will show up? The 2012 playoff team or a team that keeps wanting to give games away?

I say we see a different team, an inspired team, a desperate team, the team we love, our MINNESOTA VIKINGS get a win.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment