Saturday, June 29, 2013

Vikings former Training Camp residence hall is imploded

On Saturday June 29th the Gage Towers which housed Vikings players during training camps along with students during the school year was imploded at 9:30 am.

The Gage Towers were built in 1965 and lasted 48 years. The place housed 50,000 students during its existence and the Vikings had stayed there 47 years as well.

I stayed there in 1987, the year the Twins won the World Series. My memory of that year was kid’s pulling the fire alarms when the Twins won the division, the American League pennant and the World Series. Three times the building were evacuated. My daughter also lived there in 2007.

The memories of me living there and knowing the Vikings lived there made that place just that more special in my heart.

I went over and watched this incredible scene. I arrived at 7 am with gates opening at 7:30. There were already around one hundred people or so.

The gates opened and fans made their way to where they would like to stand to watch the implosion.

On the way vendors were set up giving people free coffee, pop, donuts and cookies. MSU also had a tent set up where keepsakes were being sold such as T-Shirts and for former students old mail boxes were available to buy for 5.00 if had not been sold already.

The day started out with rain but the closer the time got the rain subsided. There was a podium set up under a small tent in which Benchwarmer Bob Lurtesema spoke of his memories while staying there during camp. MSU president also spoke.

The time was getting closer and the announcement was made how things would work. A horn would sound with 2 minutes then 1 minute until the detonating would occur.

A 1986 alum along with her husband were the ones to push the button to get the implosion started.

The countdown began 10, 9, 8, 7 all the way down to one then we heard a few loud explosive type noises. It seemed like it was such a delay with no action. The next things you saw was the 2 building falling as one to a mass amount of smoke.

It was the most incredible sight I have ever seen. I was told 26 seconds for the first blast until the last of the buildings had fallen to the ground.

The amount of ooh and aahs was like a 4th of July night. There were tears with memories coming crumbling down.

We were allowed to go over to the place where the towers had stood. There was a fenced area but we could still get close enough to see a monstrous pile of debris.

I do not know if I will ever forget this day as long as I live.

I will be making my trip to training camp for the 20th straight year.  It will be so strange not to see the players heading to the Gage Towers.

I have been to so many move in days by the Vikings where the fans were allowed to come to the Gage Towers and welcome their favorite players.

It will be strange to see or I mean not see the Gage Towers as I sit and watch practice.

A new chapter begins in the Vikings organization with a new residence hall and it all begins July 25th when the team moves in.



What is left of Gage A and B Towers on Saturday June 29th,2013

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment