Monday, June 17, 2013

Changes made for fans


The Minnesota Vikings to me mean more than just going to or watching road games and meeting players it includes collecting souvenirs, taking pictures. It is a total package. It becomes harder and harder to find new collectibles at times. The art of taking action shots at games is a work in progress for me.

I got bad news on both fronts of collecting and potentially taking pictures. I received some info saying the company that puts out the yearly semi has decided to produce only for a select amount of teams in the NFL and the Vikings are not one of them.

I was married in 2001 and received my first semi that year. My wife has got me a semi every year for Christmas since. This year the streak comes to an end. I know nothing is forever but I can still be disappointed. If one comes out next year then of course I will start the streak over. I love the look of the semi every year and often wonder will they be able to design a different one?

An announcement was made by the NFL on Thursday, June 13th that affects potentially what I love to do at games and that is take pictures. My wife and I invested into a nice camera that has a nice zoom that I can take pictures from the 2nd deck.

I remember the first game we attended that we brought our new investment. We found out that only a certain size zoom is allowed. The security took our camera and measured it. It passed the test and they put a colored band on the camera bag allowing us to bring it in.

We get checked every Sunday which I fully expect as the security is only doing their job. I came in every Sunday a couple hours early and took pictures of not only the Vikings but their opponents. The NFL is full of super stars and taking their picture in pregame is a true thrill for this diehard fan.

I have almost more fun taking picture in pregame than the game itself. I did get a game picture when Jared Allen got the sack that broke Chris Doleman’s team record. I also got a picture of the Vikings lined up offensively. Brett Favre at quarterback, Randy Moss, wide receiver and Adrian lined up in the backfield. What a memory.

The new NFL policy is as follows: Under the new policy, fans will be allowed to bring one bag into stadiums and that bag must be clear and not exceed 12 inches by six inches by 12 inches.

Here's a list of items from the NFL that you will not be allowed to bring into stadiums: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.

Just to be clear: You can still bring a camera, binoculars or a tablet into the stadium; you just can't bring any of those items in a non-clear bag

I can still bring my camera I know but it is concerning how to get it in safely and depending on the weather is. I will abide by the rules but I can still be disappointed

I know the reason for change is for safety of the fans and make the checking of bags easier and more efficient.

I do understand and by no means am I a trouble maker. I am a diehard fan who wants to get the total enjoyment out of each game as a season ticket holder. We will search and find a bag that fits the criteria.

It is the last year of the dome and I really wanted to take a lot of pictures for memory.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

Source:

CBSSports.com by John Breech

No comments:

Post a Comment