Sunday, September 7, 2014

New look Vikings impress in St.Louis


The season is finally here and with that comes sweaty hands as I get ready to sit and watch my favorite team in the whole world. The Vikings are on a two game winning streak in St. Louis and looking to give Coach Zimmer his first win. What’s going to happen over the next three hours?
Oh yes, kickoff and the NFL season has begun. I absolutely love having Cordarelle Patterson ready to take the ball on kickoffs. I love his decision to take the ball where maybe few would consider and off he goes. Yes, there was a penalty for holding but I still am all for his no fear running style.
The game definitely had its ugliness with all the penalties but that can be fixed for next week. The first half ends 13-0 in favor of the Vikings.
First half highs and lows
 Josh Robinson’s miraculous interception on the sideline just before half and Greg Jennings effort to haul in a touchdown from Cassel both should be ESPN top highlights of opening Sunday.
Blair Walsh connects on a 52 yards field goal which was a great sign. This not only is great for the Vikes it is great for Walsh’s confidence. The game Sunday marks the 3rd straight season in which Walsh has had a 50 plus field goal in a game. I am also reminded that Blair did miss his last 3 field goals attempts of over 50 to end last season. Way to go Blair and give the Vikes the extra weapon in your leg. I am also very excited about the kickoff lengths Walsh hit Sunday giving the Rams bad field position each time to start the drive.
The low came for me with the Marcus Sherels incident trying to catch a punt. I was upset at first that he was not given the opportunity to fairly catch it. I did realize after replay that Blanton did in fact block Bates in Sherels. I then believe there should have been thrown a flag for a violation of having his helmet off while on the field. I also was disgusted with his lack of professionalism as he is standing there celebrating as injured Sherels is laying there. Where is the class in that? I find it ironic later in the game he does indeed get a penalty for taunting. This is the kind of stuff the NFL could do without.
The second half opens with a Rams surprise as they insert new quarterback, Austin Davis. I loved the Vikings defense pinning their ears back and going full force.
A Vikings defense that gave up 480 points last season and had 5 epic collapses in 2013 came Sunday to St. Louis and showed the NFL world that the Mike Zimmer lead Vikings will be no push over.
A Vikings defense that came up with 5 sacks (2-Everson Griffen, 1-Harrison Smith 1- Tom Johnson and 1-Linval Joseph). This is the team that lost Jared Allen in the offseason and yet sees 4 sacks from the defensive line.
The 2 interceptions just can’t be talked about enough. The effort of Josh Robinson I referred to earlier but how about Harrison Smith stepping in front of a receiver ag going 81 yards to the house. How about Defensive End, Everson Griffen’s hustle to get ahead of Smith and lead the way. I call that true team work.
I am so sky high on the defense it seems strange to write about the defense before the offense. I don’t even know where to start with my eyes focused on Adrian every time he took the handoff I was expecting a long distance sprint. He ends the game with 75 yards which is a nice start to the season but to see a player on the Vikings rush for more than 100 yards and his name is not AP.  I give all the props in the world to Cordarrelle Patterson for his 3 rushes and 102 yards. This win goes down in my heart even more because the way the unexpected things happened Sunday.
I am of the opinion based on late last season and the way Week 1 went in St. Louis for Cordarrelle Patterson that the trade with New England that brought CP might just go down as one of the best in team history. It is indeed early but based on the results can you really argue this.
There were so many positives to look at starting with the punting of Jeff Locke. I thought he did a great job of punting and giving plenty of hang time for the coverage teams to get their job done. I also thought the special team did a great job of containing Rams’ speedster, Tavon Austin.
I loved the job of tackling the defense did on Sunday. It is a definite need to happen if the team wants to hang with the rest of the NFC North.
A win on the road which the team failed to do all last year along with the lopsided score was nice to witness instead of holding my breath in hopes we just hang on.
Was there a better picture on TV than when Patterson took a bucket of water and doused Coach Zimmer? The smile on Zimmer’s’ face was so nice to see.
The team does have 15 weeks left but it is truly nice to say the Vikings are in 1st place and undefeated. It is even nicer to say that Green Bay and Chicago are both 0-1.
I picked the Vikings to win 31-10 and came pretty close. I also had Patterson and the Vikings defense on my fantasy team. What a day!!!!!
Thanks for reading
Todd Walkingstick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment