Sunday, September 14, 2014

Disappointing Home Opener


 

The home opener was finally here and I made the trip to TCF Bank Stadium to see my 150th home game of Vikings football on Sunday.

This is the 3rd game of the year and what I have found out is two things amongst many starting with parking. The first 2 preseason games we took the light rail to TCF Stadium. I have found that parking by the old Metrodome in a lot right across from the Spaghetti Factory you can pay 4.00 to park. I then caught the green line light rail for 7.00 for my wife and myself making a total of 11.00. The train drops you off right behind the stadium. The only issue I found is after the game the thousands of fans that try to get on all at one. You need much patience.

Sunday’s home opener we tried parking on campus at a place called the East River Road Garage for 10.00, cash only. The walk is a lengthy one but ten dollars is not bad. The trouble after the game is sitting in traffic.

My advice is take the light rail and avoid the traffic jams just remember it is a waiting period in which to catch the next available light rail.

We got to the stadium and it was wall to wall purple outside the stadium making for a beautiful sight. The next thing I like to check out is prices of different drinks or foods. I am not a beer drinker but had to see what the charge is and 8.75 is what I found. The other surprise was the price of cotton candy which was a whopping 9.00 for a bag.

The excitement was building as game time approached. I witnessed in pregame 4 military parachuters coming over head and landing on TCF Bank Stadium field. The last of the four was holding a rather large United States flag. It was an incredible sight to see these 4 come in so accurately.

The Vikings offense was introduced to the fans in which I was curious to see how loud the stadium would get. I will admit I did not think it was that loud after being spoiled for years in the dome having my ears blasted out at times.

The player that drew the loudest cheer was Cordarrelle Patterson who seems to be picking up steam as a new fan favorite.

Patriots kickoff with all eyes on Patterson in hopes of the electrifying kickoff return. We watch the ball go out of the end zone making the first of so many disappointments.

The Vikings drive down the field and made it look so easy as the drive ends in a touchdown. I actually thought the crowd was louder for the touchdown than the player name announcements. I am so pumped seeing the Vikings go up 7-0 against the powerful New England Patriots.

I loved the play calling on that drive. It seemed like the Patriots were so focused on Cordarelle Patterson they forgot about the other receivers.

The Vikes stop the Patriots giving the ball back to the Vikings offense. The crowd was really getting into the game. 

The game changed real quickly when Vikings quarterback, Matt Cassel threw the first of his 4 interceptions and we saw the Patriot defender take the ball all the way to the one. The crowd just went silent and it seemed to take the crowd out for the rest of the game.

The Vikings had such a good chance to make it a one score game right before half but then the unthinkable. A blocked Blair Walsh field goal attempt and fans sat and watched the Patriots take it to the house 9 seconds before half.  The crowd was stunned and upset.

The Vikes get the ball back and take a knee really getting the crowd mad so much that they booed the team off the field at halftime.

The second half saw fans filing out quickly early in the fourth quarter and we heard repeated chants of Teddy, Teddy, Teddy!!!!!!

The offense just had too many turnovers leaving the Patriots with good field position. The team gave up 30 but I will go on the ledge by saying they didn’t play necessarily that bad.

If you look at the stats Brady numbers aren’t monstrous finishing with 149 yards passing nor were the Patriots team totals which totaled 292. A good team takes advantage of what a team gives them and that is exactly what New England did. A team that wins big you would think the stats would correlate but not Sunday.

My 2 biggest disappointing players of the game: Matt Cassel just looked so lost making some terrible decisions. I also thought left tackle; Matt Kalil really struggled as well today.

I was disappointed with the last of use of Cordarrelle Patterson not giving him the ball enough. I would love to see him line up in the back field and try it. I am not sure why but feel the team has nothing to lose. He is fast, talented and wants to score. Please give him the ball.

I also came into the game looking for a ferocious pass rush on Brady but that never materialized either.

I look at the NFC North the first 2 weeks and know if Minnesota can get back on track in week 3 they will be right in it for the long haul. It is a long season and know Coach Zimmer will make sure there are not 2 weeks in a row like this.

I am disappointed but know it is only week 2. I also know the weather was beautiful Sunday so much that my wife and I got sunburned.

Thanks for reading

Todd Walkingstick

No comments:

Post a Comment