Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl weekend super for Vikings

The Super Bowl weekend is an awesome event but this might go down as the best weekend the Vikings have ever had even though not playing in the big game.
I spent the weekend moving my mom to a new residence so I did not get to see the awards as they happened but I guarantee I was following twitter on my phone so I could see what was going on in the sports world and more importantly was if Cris Carter would finally get in an later if Adrian Peterson would get the award he deserved, the MVP or Comeback player of the year.

The Vikings have made the Super Bowl and lost all 4 so this is the criticism I take as a fan with the most often asked question, “how can you follow a team that disappoints?”
It is days like Saturday that makes it so worth being a fan of this team. The hundreds of Vikings players I have had the pleasure to meet through the years in Mankato and this list does include Cris Carter and Adrian Peterson.

I will never forget when my daughter came with me and she had her Cris Carter jersey on that Cris autographed that gave my daughter a memory of a lifetime. She still has it and now she can say she has a jersey signed by a Hall of Famer.

I can remember Cris playing catch in Training Camp with Randy Moss, Jake Reed and a certain ball boy whose name is Larry Fitzgerald Jr.

We have had such good receivers in the past and it now excites the heck out of me to see Cris Carter finally get the call to a place he so deserves.
The one handed sideline passes while staying in bounds he seemed to have perfected and almost seemed to make it look natural with not much effort.

Cris came to Minnesota on September 4, 1990 as he was claimed off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles. I say as a fan, thank you Philadelphia for releasing him and allowing the Vikings to pick him up so cheap.

It was on November 30th he became only the second player in NFL history to reach the 1000 catch milestone which since then has been accomplished. It is still too neat to know he did it back then when it was not so common.

Cris is also is 1 of 2 receivers in history to catch 120 balls or more in two seasons in 1994 and 1995 along with Wes Welker.
Carter is number one in history with the most touchdown catches of 7 yards or less with 48. What a great red zone receiver that I hope the current Vikings team can once again find although I believe Kyle Rudolph can one day be there.

It is nice to now know after years of frustration that the Vikings now have had 2 consecutive years of getting a guy into Canton and also 6 of the last 8 years seeing a Vikings players make it.

Congrats to Cris Carter for a well-deserved honor!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrian Peterson getting the MVP all I can say and think is, Thank you to the voters for not disappointing the Vikings fans.

The streak of 5 straight quarterbacks is now over thanks to AP. The man did more for a team than anyone could have expected except for AP, he never had a doubt.
I truly believed he set a standard for all of us even if we are not in sports. If you put your mind to it you can do anything. It is belief and will that can take you to success.
It is amazing that of all the Vikings throughout the years that Adrian only becomes the 3rd player in team history to get this award. Peterson joins Fran Tarkenton (1975) and Alan Page (1971) with this award.

He was short by 9 yards which is disappointing but to walk away with the awards Saturday night he did has got to be fulfilling.
I love his attitude in life and am thrilled he will be in Purple for years to come.

The numbers he ripped off in 2012 I believe with his attitude and determination that these records will be shattered over and over.
Congrats to Adrian Peterson!!!!!!!!

I need to finish up by mentioning Coach Frazier and the fact that he finished 4th for Coach of the Year is fabulous. I know 4th is not first but to see the man survive what he has gone through and working with youth and getting the players to buy into his program. I say, Congrats Coach for a great job and keep up the good work in the future.

Thank you Coach Frazier!!!

Thank for reading
Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment