Monday, February 11, 2013

Excitement starts all over


The month of February is in its early stages yet football talk is kicking up hot and heavy. It starts personally for me as the email came from the Vikings regarding renewal of season tickets. I am expecting in the mail this week the form to see the pricing. This most likely seems to be the last year at the dome and with that I need to get ready to for lots of memories and hopefully they are good ones.

The announcement that an average of 3.6 percent increase in tickets I will be facing. It is the first time in 3 years there will be an increase. The home schedule is full of exciting teams with young quarterbacks leading the way. The Packers, Bears, Lions, Browns, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers are coming to Mall of America Field. We will get to see Cam Newton and hopefully RGIII assuming he recovers from off season surgery. I see the Eagles signed Micheal Vick to a one year contract today so he too may be facing our defense and better yet our crowd that is awesome.

The one home game I am very disappointed that we will not see will be the Pittsburgh Steelers as this game is in London. The Steelers fan travel well and it would have been fun to see the terrible towels in the dome and the potential hundreds of Steelers fans.

The free agency begins on March 12th at 4:00 pm and with that the Vikings are facing decisions on which of the 10 free agents will they keep.

In my opinion the 2 most important offensive guys to keep would be right tackle, Phil Loadholt and fullback, Jerome Felton. The way the running game blew up in 2012 it would be so nice to keep the flow going.

The defensive side of the ball I believe we need to keep safety, Jamarca Sanford and the 2 linebackers, Erin Henderson and Jasper Brinkley.

These are my hopes going into free agency. The team must be under the salary cap before this date of March 12 as well.

The subject of Percy Harvin is concerning on what the team will do with him. He is so talented and his trade value I would think be high. I hate to see him leave but if he does it would be nice to get value instead of next year he would leave potentially leave via free agency and we would get nothing. My hope is no matter what I just hope the team makes a decision sooner than later which could end in a hold out of some sort.

The team made such big strides it is important that all distractions get taken care of no matter what so when Training Camp comes in late July the team can concentrate on football and not soap operas.

In other news with Cris Carter being called to the Hall of Fame he will be making an appearance at Winter Park on Thursday February 14th and face the media. I cannot wait to watch the news that night and see what he is thinking. I for one am so happy for him on a well-deserved honor.

The Combine is coming in a couple weeks with over 330 invites with one I will keep an eye on. MarQueis Gray, former Gopher quarterback got an invite. I do not know what position he will shoot for to play in the NFL but I wish him all the success in the world. Former Gopher wide out Eric Decker sure has done well in the NFL as he now catches balls from Peyton Manning. It would be nice for another Gopher to do well.

The Pro Day at the University of Minnesota is March 4th so another chance for Gray to impress.

This is an exciting time of year for college hopefuls to make the pros but also for fans who religiously follow the team 365 like I do.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment