Sunday, January 12, 2020

Vikes season comes to a painful end in San Francisco


It’s Sunday January 12th the day I am writing this one day after the Vikings season ended on a terrible note. It had been all week I heard comparisons of 1987 playoff run as the Vikes shocked the Saints them the 49ers before falling to the Washington Redskins in the NFC Championship game.


I watched last week all the experts take the Saints and then the Vikes shock the world beating the Saints in OT. I watched again the pregame to the San Francisco and the majority of the experts picked the 49ers.


I really felt the 49ers defense was much better than the Saints especially the 49ers front seven. I came in optimistic with nothing to lose as one again the Vikes faces tough odds taking on the one seed 49ers.


It had been a long day waiting for the game at 3:35 as I watched countless hours on TV of game breakdowns and listening to facts and figures.


It was finally game time and once again the Vikings start the game with the ball. I thought this would be a great chance to show the 49ers we came to play. I guess I was wrong three very painful plays to start with little or no yards and the Vikings were forced to punt.


Ok, defense it’s your turn to show the 49ers you mean business and you will stop the 49ers. One problem the 49ers did not follow my hope in fact they moved the ball so easy it was if we had no defense even on the field. I was very upset, mad and confused on just how easy 49ers quarterback, Jimmy Garoppolo took his offense right down the field and it’s 7-0 49ers.


Great a terrible opening Vikings drive followed by an easy touchdown by the 49ers is a fan’s nightmare especially in a game of this magnitude.


The Vikings brought hope back into my life as I see Kirk Cousins throw a very nice deep ball down the left sidelines, and maybe even a better adjustment by Stefon Diggs to catch the ball and he walks into the endzone. My world is back in order as the game is tied 7-7


It seemed all day the 49ers could run the ball whenever they wanted and even a Vikings defender tripping the back and they still fell forward 3-4 yards. I know the commentators had mentioned that 49ers coach, Kyle Shanahan would love to have 50/50 with pass and run but I believe at one point of the game the 49ers had 30 straight runs. Their running game is impressive and even more so using a three headed attack.


It seemed the Vikings run game as soon as the handoff the 49ers were not very good hosts as they rudely met Dalvin Cook at the point of handoff.


It was a strange first half as the 49ers had gone up 14-7 but thanks to a Eric Kendricks giving the Vikes good field position which they get three out of. It’s halftime and as badly as I felt we got outplayed it’s only 14-10.


The second half was as ugly as it gets watching the Vikings offense do absolutely nothing as I believe 9 drives and there were 7 three and outs.


The 49ers offense didn’t necessarily light it up but they really did not have to as they played a great ball control offense and let me feeling sick to my stomach.


It was a day of not only terrible performance but also see things happen to the Vikes that left me shaking my head. I look back at the first half with the 49ers in 3rd down and long the Vikes get great pressure. I see Garoppolo throw a wounded duck with three Vikings defenders around and somehow a 49er dives and makes a sick catch.


It was again the Vikings defense stepped up in one key drive forcing a three and out and a punt. I see the ball punted and I could tell Marcus Sherels struggled finding it with and it hits Sherels bounces and 49ers recover. Oh no wee had a small chance for a glimmer of hope of maybe finding a spark. It wasn’t meant to be and the 49ers cash in with a touchdown really ending my dreams of a trip to a potential Super Bowl.


It was just the 2nd to last home game vs the Green Bay Packers on national TV where the Vikings offense totaled an embarrassing 7 first downs for the game and less than 200 yards in offense.

It’s not even a month later and as I am watching the game and really never realizing the Vikings had five first downs for the game in the 4th quarter. I then see a stat put up on the TV screen that six was the worst in NFL history in post season play.


I now have to worry because in my mind the game was lost but please oh please do not set an NFL record.


I thank the San Francisco 49ers for allowing us to get the first downs by playing their backups and also playing more zone defense. The Vikings finished with a measly 7 first downs which is good for 3rd worst so at least it’s not the worst.


The offense was absolutely miserable and made me want to get sick. It seemed every drop back Cousins was either sacked or harassed causing terrible throws.


As I mentioned the 49ers put their backups in and they even got two sacks. It was an ugly day and left me wondering what the offseason moves that need to be made.


It was also a loss which was the 30th playoff loss in Vikings history which puts them #1 in playoff losses.


There is so much blame for yesterday’s loss but won’t point the finger at anyone as it was a terrible and embarrassing loss.


I always ask myself if we are going to lose is it easier to deal with in an OT loss or getting dismantled?


The answer is a very easy getting dismantled although I never want to see the team lose. It’s hard to not like the 49ers chances of going to the Super Bowl because if they play like that next Sunday I can’t see either Seattle or Green Bay beating them.


Thank you for reading

Purplestick


1 comment: