Monday, November 11, 2019

Vikings get huge win in Big D


The Minnesota Vikings vs the Dallas Cowboys in Prime Time in Dallas on Sunday night football with widely known stat the Vikes and Kirk Cousins do not fare well typically. The Sunday night football poll shows 53 percent of America thinks the Vikes will win but the National Media on TV was asked and everyone had the Dallas Cowboys even Tony Dungy. You know what the game must be played and we will see in the end.


The way the game started the Cowboys moving the ball but not by ground rather by air saw the Cowboys get stalled and we see a 57 yard Field Goal attempt miss badly. Is this a sign of good for the Purple?


The Vikings did indeed respond and I for one loved the play calling as the very fast and good pass rush of the Cowboys was beaten repeatedly as Kirk Cousins succeeded with screen passes to Dalvin Cook. I absolutely loved watching Dalvin run after the catch. The play to end the drive was a Sports Center top 10 play and that was an unbelievable one hand catch by Kyle Rudolph and how he managed to keep his large feet in bounds. I am sure I am like most fans thinking Cousins unloaded the ball to get it out of bounds but funny Rudolph got in the way but in a great way and the Vikes went up 7-0.


The Cowboys have a huge offensive line and a very talented running back in Ezekiel Elliott who was stopped not only in the first half but all game to the point when it was all said and done Elliot’s yardage was the fewest ever in his career at home.


The Vikes score again by way of Cousins to Rudolph take two and the Vikes are winning 14-0 in Prime time playing a first quarter I wish they could bottle and keep for the future.


The Cowboy running game was stymied all night buy as much as I loved the run defense I was disappointed in much of the coverage seeing Cowboys Quarterback, Dak Prescott seemingly finding wide open receivers way too many times. The Vikes did not sack Prescott enough but they did make him get flushed out of the pocket and then find his way to open receivers.


My first quarter I wanted bottled now in the 2nd quarter we have a tie game at 14 and giving me a nervous feeling. Oh no is the primetime worry coming true? One of the biggest catches came by way of Stefon Diggs, It’s 3rd down and Cousins throws a deep ball down field to Diggs and at first I wasn’t sure he caught it and it was ruled incomplete. Diggs gets up pleading his case and sure enough after I saw the replay as well as the NFL officials rectify the call and reverse and it’s a 26 yard catch. The Vikes kick a field goal later in the drive at 0:00 and it 17-14. This Field goal might have been the biggest one of the season especially after the Cowboys regained the momentum.


The second half opening drive by the Vikes get three more points and it’s 20-14 but I knew one touchdown by Dallas and we are behind for the first time tonight so I was not siting too comfortable as we had seen Prescott ripping up the Vikes secondary. 


My worry comes true as Dallas scores and it’s 21-20 on Sunday night football. Please Vikes don’t let us down. The Vikes use of Dalvin Cook was awesome all night either rushing or screen passes but it came down to 4th and goal. Do the Vikes kick a Field Goal or go for it knowing if they go for it and fail the Cowboys would have to drive 99 yards. I loved the call of Dalvin Cook taking the hand off and with speed and power breaks the goal line and yes the Vikes are back up. I believed they should go for two trying to make it 28-21. One again I loved the play call of throwing it high to Kyle Rudolph knowing it was Kyle and only Kyle that would catch it. Yes, success and we have a 28-21 Viking lead.


The Cowboys get a field goal and once again I am nervous if we can’t get any points the rest of the way and Dallas gets a touchdown we lose.


The 4th quarter was way too intense but yet we have seen a great game all night. A Dallas drive getting close to a touchdown sees a hand off to Elliott and the Vikings defense stuffs him. My biggest surprise came when another run by Elliott trying to run wide but trips and the Vikes stop him again. It brings up forth down and we see Prescott throwing towards Elliott near the sidelines but Vikes linebacker all world, Eric Kendrick’s knocks the ball down and it’s Viking ball.


Can I feel good yet? No as my heart stops as I see a pitch out to Dalvin Cook and he bobbles it in the air at the Vikes 10 yard line. Oh no please somebody from the Vikes please get it or Dallas is in great scoring territory and thankfully Cool comes through. The Vikes do end up punting and I thought was strange seeing the Cowboy player call a fair catch when clearly he could have gained 10-15 easy yards. Is this a sign the Vikes are going to win?


The game is coming to a close as all Dallas has left is one Hail Mary pass and when Prescott heaves it towards the end zone by stomach was churning, my hands were sweating and all I could see is something bad to happen. The Vikes played well and deserved the W on the road and finally the ball is in amongst too many sets of hands but the best set was Jayron Kearse’s hands and game over Vikings win!!!


It’s a game the team needed for so many reasons such as stay a game behind Green Bay and a huge win in the NFC all together wild card or division.


I was so happy so many guys stepped up as once again Laquon Treadwell makes a needed catch, Olabisi Johnson comes through, along with Rudolph’s two touchdowns and a two point play. It was last week I really thought Cousins passes were too high and many times uncatchable but Sunday night he put it where they needed to be.


If I was a coach and I handed out a game ball O would hand it to CJ Ham who as a fullback I thought he had his best game of his career making so many awesome blocks to help Cook and Alexander Mattison.


I mentioned how much I loved the run defense and it was done without Linval Joseph in the middle so players stepped up awesome in his absence.

It was a great win and a great night sleep!



Thank you for reading

Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment