Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Time to toughen up


Week one of the Vikings had many people high on what they saw including myself but I also know I really needed to say a good to great game in Week two to see if something was building early as it may be.

It was last year same early game at Lambeau which should be a player and dream come true as no one has to sit in the stands or play on the frozen turf so Vikes adds have to be a little better with the weather being a factor other than maybe a little wind but no snow or freezing rain.

The game last season was a winnable game for the Vikings except so many misses by our rookie kicker, Daniel Carlson who was released soon after and funny he gets picked up by the Raiders and has a very good season.

This year once again was tough to swallow because as bad as the game started for the Minnesota Vikings falling down 21-0 to the Packers early yet stopped the team the rest of the way including holding Aaron Rodgers to less than a hundred yards. The saying a tale of two halves well in this case a tale of a quarter vs the other three quarters.

I know when Dalvin Cook ripped off the 75 yard touchdown to get Minnesota on the board I was a little less nervous. I watched the defense make adjustments and the defensive line make Rodgers uncomfortable in the pocket which was a great sign. Is there a better picture than when the TV cameras show Rodgers face and he has the look of frustration.

It really was a case of throw the first quarter out the window and watch the Vikings defense take over, the Minnesota Vikings run game become huge and our big money quarterback had some nice throws but not enough. He had Stefon Diggs open deep but overthrew his by less than a yard and noticed the Packers pass rush made Cousins throw the ball too high for the receivers.

It’s a game I look back and yes know we lost but is Green Bay really a better team? Is there defense as good as TV spoke after the Packers had beat Chicago in Chicago? I watched the Chicago-Denver game and Chicago’s offense is terrible. I guess I do not have an answer on just how good or bad the Packers are.

I know the offseason I heard and read how the Coaches were going to have Cousins roll out more instead of sitting in the pocket and getting killed. I remember the preseason and the first two games the Vikings OLine had not given up a sack and Cousins would roll out. I guess I am not seeing early on this rolling out happening.

The awful throw to virtually end the game for the Vikes has been beat to death by fans and media so I do have my thoughts but assume are the same as all other fans.

The Cousins throw, Diggs costing the team 15 yards along with kicking adventures is over and we do move on but first before I leave this subject I was shocked the amount of comparisons I saw of stats with Christian Ponder vs Cousins. The stat that Cousins is the 31st rank quarterback early on is horrifying. I saw a Facebook meme showing Cousins with a Santa like bag over his shoulders with the dollar sign on the bag exiting Wisconsin. I am not sure what I am more horrified by: the way the game ended or the stats and comparisons of our big buck quarterback.

The team is 1-1 and thankfully has a home game as they entertain Raiders Coach Jon Gruden and his team. It was last year the Buffalo Bills came in a 17 plus point underdog and what happened in case you forgot: the Vikes were destroyed. It’s a chance this Sunday to show many things to the home fans and even though it’s early the Vikes have a ton to prove. I know the team has capabilities but I also know we are facing a potential tough D and a very good quarterback in Derek Carr.

I can’t wait to see the Vikes get back on the winning track and make it 2-1.

Thank you for reading

Purplestick

SKOL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment