Saturday, April 29, 2017

A + weekend for the Vikings draft


Day 1 of the Draft was finally here and I knew the Vikings did not have a first round pick although last year’s trade for Sam Bradford was our first pick and I do like that. I am selfish as a fan because I was so hoping the team would still trade up.

As it worked out the Vikes stayed out of the first which I was fine with after that night was over. I do think the big winner of the night was 49ers new GM, John Lynch who pulled off a stunner having the Bears give up way to much just to go from pick 3 to 2. What on earth Bears are you thinking? Oh well one less team to compete with the Vikings in the division.

Day 2 came and I was so anxious to see what he Vikings had in store for pick 48. Yes, Vikes GM Spielman came through and pulled off a trade to move up 7 positions to go to 41. My mindset is I don’t believe the team will move up to get O-Line help. I did come in Friday hoping for O-Line help by picking Forrest Lamp (Western Kentucky) or Cam Robinson (Alabama) but they were all gone even before 41 came. Who on earth Vikings did you move up to take? The answer: Dalvin Cook RB out of Florida State. I was in heaven getting him knowing what a great college runner he was. Yeah Vikings!!!!!

This NFL draft is unbelievably crazy with the Bears pick along with the Chiefs and Texans trade up to get their quarterbacks of the future. The other fact I read was of the first 96 picks 29 were cornerbacks and with the NFL getting to be a pass happy league this really makes sense,

Then later the team picks Pat Elflein, Center/Guard out of The Ohio State. I was in love with the pick and even more after I heard coach Zimmer say Pat could be a starter at center. Two picks, Cook and Elflein and I am giving the team an A+.

The Vikings Rick Spielman made 4 trades alone on Friday and last draft the Vikings made 3 total for the 3 day event.

I went to bed pretty pumped and could not wait to get up Saturday as I was headed to US Bank Stadium for the Draft Fest and catch all the draft there.

I got there at 10:30 and was pumped knowing the team had 7 picks although as it turned out by days end the team drafted 9 players to 11.

The cost was 20.00 and was worth every penny as I walked down all the stairs to go on to the field and take all the festivities in.

The TV’s had the draft on and KFAN broadcast for 12:00-5 so it was football heaven for myself and all other Viking fans.

Vikings play by play guy, Paul Allen made the Vikings first pick of the day and that was on NFL Network so I moved up to be a part of the craziness.

Everson Griffen came on stage to announce the next pick and the huge Skol drum was rolled in front of the stage and thus the beat and the Skol Chant began as Everson called out the pick.

Vikings HOF. Paul Krause was brought underneath the fire breathing dragon the team brought out to represent game day. It was an awesome sight. I was asked with a few other fans after Krause came out to stand behind him and cheer while the pick was being announced, If this didn’t give me chills I don’t know what will.

As for the draft I loved all the wheeling and dealing Spielman did to get 9 picks Saturday. I also love that 4 of the picks come from the Big 10. I look back and see the team took the following:

Jaleel Johnson-DT

Ben Gedeon-LB

Rodney Adams-WR

Danny Isidora-G

Bucky Hodges-TE

Stacy Coley-WR

Ifeadi Ogenigbo-DE
Elija Lee-LB

Jack Tocho-DB

The draft was 11 total with 6 offense and 5 defense. I absolutely love what the team did to fill needs. I did read twitter that #NFC North gave the Vikings an A and I cannot disagree. I am so fired up for this season after a weekend like this.

Thank for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment