Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Major disappointment comes in Vikings loss


The way last year ended with the team winning the last 3 at home and just playing better football in general then comes the long off season followed by Training Camp and then 5 preseason games in which the team I thought was ready to roll.

The National Media has been talking up the Vikings and even Las Vegas was favorable in giving the Vikings a favorite by 2.5 in San Francisco with excitement all around building.

The day was so full of purple with people wearing their favorite Vikings clothing, then seeing kids come off the bus with some having Vikings jerseys. This long Monday was filled with so much anticipation and excitement.

We at last had football as at 9:20 with the kickoff occurring. I have not felt this confident in a long time with the Vikings being on the road and even a Monday night game in which typically the team struggles. This was going to be a different Monday finally.

The 49ers start with the ball and right off the bat I could not believe how well the 49ers run game came out. This was to be the offseason where the team focused on stopping the run. I sat shaking my head in disbelief watching the 49ers roll with ease. Then finally we catch a break as 49ers were penalized.

The drive ends in a field goal attempt and I thought well that’s not bad only giving up 3 the way the 49ers were gashing the defense. The good problem as we know was Sendejo gets through and blocks the field goal attempt.

I came flying out of my seat as I see Marcus Sherels pick up the ball and yes I thought he was gone for 6. I did not know it at the time but now that I reflect back and see it was just another example of just how much hustle the 49ers had.

The Vikings still got good field position out of it but then the unthinkable with Adrian ready to run the Vikings throw 3 straight times and come up empty and settle for what I thought would be an automatic for Blair Walsh. Yes, I know he struggled in preseason but my gut tells me tonight would be different.

The snap, the hold, the kick and there it goes wide leaving the score tied at 0-0. The rest of the first half reminded me so much of a preseason game with sloppiness and more sloppiness. Penalties, fumbles, incompletions were referred to by the commentators as a comedy of errors making the first half painful to watch.

Then finally a score but by the wrong team and I must say even though it was the 49ers that scored I thought to myself that was an unbelievable run. It did seem to me that the over pursuit did not help the matters.

Referees a we know can’t make a team win or lose but like every other Vikings fan I must throw in my 2 bits about the non-call of pass interference on the Bridgewater to Wallace in the end zone possibly then having the ball first and goal. Was this the play or non-play. Call or no call of the game?

 

The half was painful yet being only down by 7 made me feel like this game was far from being over. Please score, Vikings and the momentum will be yours.

The injury to Reggie Bush was huge and I thought favorable to the Vikings. I do never want to see anyone get hurt in my favorite sport in the world but how many times has Bush hurt the Vikings defense?

My hope as we know by now was to no avail. I feel I am a positive person in life always looking for good in all.

I struggled in the game to find any glimmer of positivity but here is what I came up with. I thought Jerick McKinnon stood out on offense and on defense I loved Harrison Smith’s hits. The problem with choosing Smith is that means the offensive players got too deep into our defense.

The game is over almost 24 hours ago and I still can’t believe what I watched. I was shocked with the inability to tackle and how the defense just got pushed around all night. It seemed from the start of the game to the end the defense chased all night.

The offensive line got manhandled for a majority of the game. I must give props to Teddy for a different reason and that is the punishment he took on blitzes that he was able to get up.

I am such a fan and had so much heartbreak like all other fans but this game sits towards the top of my list for biggest disappointments.

The field goal the Vikings did get I thought the way the ball was heading right I thought it was going to go wide right but thank God I was wrong.

I believe a good fan gives props where they are due and my props goes to 3 49ers in particular and they are Running Back, Carlos Hyde, Quarterback, Colin Kaepernick and linebacker, NaVorro Bowman.

The 49ers destroyed the Vikings in every aspect of the game and not even I can deny that. The game will make me not feel so bad if the Vikings can open at home Sunday with a big win over the Detroit Lions.

It is football and a 16 game season and yes the 49ers game hurts like heck but I believe the Vikings got a rude awakening and will not disappoint the home fans.

Go Vikings

Thanks for reading

Todd Walkingstick

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment