Saturday, May 25, 2013

High on the ownership and thankful for their efforts


I have season tickets long enough to say I have been through 2 ownership groups and have enjoyed the efforts by these groups to try and make the team successful.

The year 1998 was a big year in my life regarding the passion of the Vikings. It was the first year of my season tickets and I saw the team go undefeated at home only to lose in the NFC Championship game to Atlanta. The other big news that year was a new owner of the Vikings by the name of Red McCombs. Who can forget his slogan, “Purple Pride” in his southern accent?

I met Red a hand full of times including training camp. I introduced myself to him and said I was a season ticket holder. His response was putting his arm around me and saying “Bless you.” It was an unforgettable day in my life as a Vikings fan.

A sale then was made on May 25th, 2005 that the NFL ok’ d the sale to the Wilf family for 600 million dollars.

Yes, Saturday May 25, 2013 was the 8 years of ownership of the Vikings by this family. It has been a blessing in my eyes with a family who has shown the passion like they have.

The Wilf’s have showed the desire to make the team competitive. I appreciate this so much and gives me just another reason to love this team.

The ownership has done such things as renovating Winter Park, removing Coach Childress and hiring Leslie Frazier was big in my eyes as well to name a couple. It showed me they were serious in the team winning knowing they would have to buy out Childress and still pay the salary of Coach Frazier.

The patience this ownership has shown in the hopes of one day having a new stadium and now are being rewarded with the new stadium in 2016.

Zygi Wilf is from the New Jersey, and where is the Super Bowl this season? Yes, the New Meadowlands stadium.  What a thrill that would be to see the Vikings owners see their team play in the state where they once lived.

1998 new owner McCombs saw his team his game from the Super Bowl. In the 2009-2010 season, the Wilf’s saw their team come one game from the Super Bowl.

Is it on the cards to have a story book season and end up playing in an outside super bowl game?

The team goes 3-13 to 10-6 with anything possible this season.  It is the last season at Mall of America Field with so much history to be made.

What a storyline as the Vikes play the last year in their stadium and on to the New Meadowland’s Stadium for the Super Bowl.

A fan can have hopes, can’t he?

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment